Where was the Sheffield Fish Market?

Sheffield History

Where is that photo exactly, would it be looking down Commercial St with Angle St off to the left and Fitzalan Sq to the right? I'm pretty sure the location features on the old 'tram ride through Sheffield' film.

• Like 1

We are looking down High Street with Angel Street going off to the left. The building in the background is the Fitzalan Market Hall.

Whether the fish market was in there i have no idea, although there were certainly fishmongers

• Like 1

The picture was taken after 1927 when the Standard trams were introduced, but Burton's was on that corner before the war, so it must be around 1930.  I don't remember this building, but then I only remember Burton's after the blitz.

looking at the map, the fish market was part of the old Rag & Tag market. I believe it moved from there to the new Castle Market when that opened in the early 1960's

2 hours ago, Gordon crapper said:

The picture was taken after 1927 when the Standard trams were introduced, but Burton's was on that corner before the war, so it must be around 1930.  I don't remember this building, but then I only remember Burton's after the blitz.

According to the Sheffield Markets website the Fitzalan Market Hall closed in April 1930. It was demolished soon after, no doubt, as the new building housing C & A and Burtons were opened in 1932.

The same website states that the wholesale fish market on Shude Hill was opened in 1879. 

And from Trading Histories:

"The New Wholesale Fish Market

Opened in 1879 by the 15th Duke of Norfolk, the fish market covered an area approximately 727 square feet, partly within a building that formed part of the Sheffield Gas Company. It contained a letting area of 613 square yards occupied by 18 stands inside and 5 outside. The road through the market was only 15 feet wide – quite inadequate for traffic purposes. Despite its name, the market also sold poultry and game. Demand for stands was great, with some traders forced to set up nearby outside the building. The market was able to take advantage of the new rail links from Grimsby, and thus acted as a hub through which produce could be redistributed to other markets in the West Riding and Lancashire. The market was demolished in 1961."

• Like 1