Was this building a court house?

Thorntons girl

Hi everyone,

I was in town yesterday, walking down Church street and I walked passed this building and realised how beautiful the architecture of it was.

Was this a court house?Image result for buildings on church street sheffield

I would love to have any information on this.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

It is such a beautiful building, have you ever seen inside it?

I bet it was stunning.

I wonder who worked there?

What a shame it is empty now.

11 hours ago, Thorntons girl said:

Hi everyone,

I was in town yesterday, walking down Church street and I walked passed this building and realised how beautiful the architecture of it was.

Was this a court house?Image result for buildings on church street sheffield

I would love to have any information on this.

Thanks in advance.

Cairns Chambers, Church Street, former solicitors offices built 1894/96 in the Tudor style. District Bank in the 60's. In the canopy over the door is robed statue by Frank Tory, 1st Earl of Cairns, Lord Chancellor in Disraeli's time.

This building was very lucky to escape in the Blitz, the opposite corner and St. James Church were hit.

According to the Star there are plans for a seafood restaurant. ---------  https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/revealed-this-is-what-will-be-moving-into-a-disused-listed-building-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-8941547

On 25/02/2018 at 10:27, boginspro said:

Cairns Chambers, Church Street, former solicitors offices built 1894/96 in the Tudor style. District Bank in the 60's. In the canopy over the door is robed statue by Frank Tory, 1st Earl of Cairns, Lord Chancellor in Disraeli's time.

This building was very lucky to escape in the Blitz, the opposite corner and St. James Church were hit.

According to the Star there are plans for a seafood restaurant. ---------  https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/revealed-this-is-what-will-be-moving-into-a-disused-listed-building-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-8941547

The planning application for a restaurant was approved in December: Sheffield CIty Council Planning Application 17/03655/FUL

It will be good to see the building in use. It seems to have been empty for some time.

I took a few photos last year on one of my infrequent visits to Shefield, so taken was I by some of the ornamentation. Pity about the tram overhead getting in shot. Clicking on the image brings up the full-size version for more detail

1753_Cairns%20Chambers-X2.jpg

1754_Cairns%20Chambers-L.jpg

1756_Cairns%20chambers-X2.jpg

1757_Cairns%20chambers-X2.jpg

1758_Cairns%20chambers-X2.jpg

• Like 1

Wow these are fantastic  photos, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if anyone has got photographs taken inside the building?

On 2/25/2018 at 10:27, boginspro said:

Thanks for this information, much appreciated.

On 2/25/2018 at 10:45, boginspro said:

This is how close we came to losing it "Demolition of wrecked buildings on Vicar Lane" (c) Picture Sheffield   ----------        http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s01188&pos=5&action=zoom&id=5007

vicar_lane.jpg

What a fantastic photo, thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, madannie77 said:

The planning application for a restaurant was approved in December: Sheffield CIty Council Planning Application 17/03655/FUL

It will be good to see the building in use. It seems to have been empty for some time.

I took a few photos last year on one of my infrequent visits to Shefield, so taken was I by some of the ornamentation. Pity about the tram overhead getting in shot.

1753_Cairns%20Chambers-X2.jpg

1754_Cairns%20Chambers-L.jpg

1756_Cairns%20chambers-X2.jpg

1757_Cairns%20chambers-X2.jpg

1758_Cairns%20chambers-X2.jpg

Wow these are fantastic  photos, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if anyone has got photographs taken inside the building?

I  have never come across any photos of the interior of the building, alas.

Digressing slightly, the sculpture of Earl Cairns (which I managed to photograph so the Earl's head was in shadow :rolleyes: :blink: ) and the ornamental stonework was carved by the architectural stonemason Frank Tory who was much in demand in Sheffield around this time. Having read the article linked to below I think I will be on a mission to photograph some more of his work next time I am in Sheffield.

Frank Tory, Architectural Sculptor & Stonemason

Reading some background info on Birley East Colliery, I suddenly made the connection with this thread!

Funny how threads and stories criss-cross on this site?

Still a grest read is this book and a 3 hour flight passed by quickly :)

612B9438-E722-4494-B8F2-8665FA0FC6BB.jpeg

EAFA86C9-72A7-4B89-8C76-77ABA93D892B.png

• Like 1

We had an account here in the late 60s/early 70s so used to go inside quite often. 

First the District Bank, later NatWest.  The manager had an impressive office behind those windows at street level.

There now appears to a tree growing out of the chimneys?

That’d be the City Centre branch!!,...... lol

actually, isn’t it now an upmarket seafood restaurant? Certainly better than being stood empty.... or worse still, levelled!?!

On 13/11/2018 at 17:59, makapaka said:

It was built as the offices for a printing and stationary company.

I think you are thinking of Parade Chambers at the corner of East Parade, by M.E. Hadfield & Son, built 1883-85, for Pawson and Brailsford, printers and stationers

Cairns Chambers were designed by Charles Hadfield and built between 1894 and 1896 for Henry & Alfred Maxwell, solicitors and later used by Hadfield and Cawkwell, architects and many others. By 1905 there were at least ten companies with offices in there, the majority having the address of "Cairns Chambers, 19 St. James Street" but I see that the Sheffield Coal Company address was Cairns Chambers, Church Street on the post by RLongden