Addys Fields ?

togger

Good Afternoon everyone,

Just got a birth certificate and the place of birth is ! "Addys Fields" and this is something that i have never heard of. Can anyone enlighten me and give me some idea of where this was in Sheffield please?

If possible a map of the area would be very appreciated.

addys fields.jpg

Not an easy one to google, I keep getting results for Abbey Fields, Abbey Lane etc (working on the assumption that the 'fields' must be near a lane, court, road, street etc)

Are you sure it's not Addey ?

Looks like there's an e in there

1 minute ago, unrecordings said:

Not an easy one to google, I keep getting results for Abbey Fields, Abbey Lane etc (working on the assumption that the 'fields' must be near a lane, court, road, street etc)

Are you sure it's not Addey ?

Looks like there's an e in there

Yes it's Addeys Fields for sure, but i have never come across this but i have Nether Hallam? So, addeys fields must be somewhere in Nether Hallam, is it not?

Addy Street was originally called Addey Street till 1915. It was built on land owned by two brothers, of the Addey family originally from Cudworth. could it be the fields of said family

(from Peter Harveys book)

So, we ca

3 minutes ago, HughW said:

Also Adelphi St (Sheffield Daily Telegraph 31 Aug 1880)

addeys fields 1880-08-31 SDT.JPG

So, i think we can safely say that Addeys Fields was on Adelphi Street then, fantastic (i love this website). Now has anyone got a map of Adelphi street showing the house numbers from circa 1880 please?

The only maps I know of with that amount of detail are the 1950s maps on here and the insurance maps of the city centre. You could compare a detailed map such as this 1890 town plan with directories or electoral rolls...

adelphi st 1890 town plan.JPG

6 minutes ago, HughW said:

The only maps I know of with that amount of detail are the 1950s maps on here and the insurance maps of the city centre. You could compare a detailed map such as this 1890 town plan with directories or electoral rolls...

adelphi st 1890 town plan.JPG

Did the fire insurance maps cover this area?

Mmmm interesting that there is an addeys street and the same name of buildings on Adelphi Street. Obviously there is a connection somewhere?