65 Westbourne Rd

tozzin

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 19.27.03.jpg

I visited 65 Westbourne Road yesterday and what a large house it is, sadly it's now flats by the look of it, there's a roundel on the front of the house depicting a music theme, the chap that had it built was William Turton Stacey, music professor, music seller, pianoforte and organ seller, he had it built in 1844? But I cannot find much info on the man, his family or brothers, can anyone help.

• Like 1

I think this article does the job, however it does skate over the circumstances of his bankruptcy just prior to his death.  On 9th January 1884 in Sheffield County Court, the first meeting of the creditors of James Herbert Stacey of 65 Westbourne Road, hatter, in partnership with Willaim Turton Stacey, trading as Stacey and Son. Their joint account showed liabilities of £1069 and assets of £312.  Possibly his failed business with his son as hatters brought down the rest of his empire?

5a8f2438cbbf8_WTStacey.png.3cbed5c5bfc5aa830fa7b7e4e6d480d7.png

In 1851 W.T. Stacey was living at his Music Selling premises at 101 West street. In 1871 W.T.Stacey was living at 61 Wesbourne Road:

5a8f27afc0408_WTStacey1871census.thumb.jpg.22334fccebf544a26802a897ff1430d0.jpg

In 1881 W.T. Stacey had moved into 65 Westbourne Road (assuming the numbering had not changed)  Lucy Pottenger and family were at No 61 and Marriott Oakes at No.63.

5a8f2c557a7c5_WTStacey1881census.jpg.47eb5d33f49468e608cf3235b18da8a3.jpg

7 hours ago, tozzin said:

I visited 65 Westbourne Road yesterday and what a large house it is, sadly it's now flats by the look of it, there's a roundel on the front of the house depicting a music theme, the chap that had it built was William Turton Stacey, music professor, music seller, pianoforte and organ seller, he had it built in 1865? But I cannot find much info on the man, his family or brothers, can anyone help.

I'm afraid this isn't 65 Westbourne Road I don't know who put it up but this is No 65, garden overgrown not like the one with pristine Privet hedge. Also here's the Roundel mentioned.

Stacey_William_Turton__pianoforte_and_harmonium_dealer_music_seller_and_American_organ_warehouse_5_High_street__h_65_Westbo.jpg

Music_Themed_Roundel_on_the_former_home_of_William_Turton_Stacey_Roundel_dated_1865.jpg

7 hours ago, tozzin said:

I visited 65 Westbourne Road yesterday and what a large house it is, sadly it's now flats by the look of it, there's a roundel on the front of the house depicting a music theme, the chap that had it built was William Turton Stacey, music professor, music seller, pianoforte and organ seller, he had it built in 1844? But I cannot find much info on the man, his family or brothers, can anyone help.

This is no.51....... close, but no cigar! lol

No. on right hand gatepost.....

12 minutes ago, RLongden said:

This is no.51....... close, but no cigar! lol

No. on right hand gatepost.....

Nice photo though.