Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield History

When was this built and when did it close?

I’m not sure when it was built but I can remember driving through it in the later part of the 90’s. 

You allowed both ways at first then it went to one way and finally closed altogether. 

Always enjoyed aride ride through there. 

Built in the second half of the 1960's ....  around '65 to '68. Don't know the date it closed.

Where was it exactly? I left Sheffield in 1970 and I can't place it. Maybe because I never saw it from that angle.

It was still open in 1980. To the top left is the Central Library with Arundel Gate snaking away into the distance. The oblong building is part of Sheffield Hallam University, formerly the Polytechnic. On the horizon is Hyde Park Flats.

The Wedding Cake Register Office isn't on this image, so the image predates that missed building.

Eyre Street underpass. I think it closed early 2000's and was unused for a few years before being filled in when Arundel Gate and Eyre Street were remodelled as single carriageways.

I used it a lot in the mid 70's onwards. As on the right hand side facing it was a Union building, which also was was used by Careers Service for young people.

I can understand why it was shut down. The pedestrian bridge is useless for wheelchair access. By the time of it's closure the Council were very into disabled access. 

Very true

It just seems that nothing really seems to last these days in Sheffield

We spend loads building things only to tear them down 20 or 30 years later

• Upvote 1

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield2/w02117.jpg

Here is a picture from Pictures Sheffield showing the demolition site of what was to become Furnival Square at the junction of Eyre Street and Furnival Street. The remaining building awaiting demolition was Turners (Eyre St) Ltd Nickel Silver manufacturers and one of Sheffields major cutlery blank suppliers. The corporation paid to move them and all their rolling mills and drop stamps to Sylvester Street.  

On 23/02/2018 at 20:28, Sheffield History said:

Very true

It just seems that nothing really seems to last these days in Sheffield

We spend loads building things only to tear them down 20 or 30 years later

Much of it's to do with Government Grants. It's nothing generally to do with when a structure or building is faulty or structurally unsound. The Government gives a cash injection and someone says we will knock that down or build this. Much of the money used to come in part from the European Union, but even in these cash strapped times and the pulling out of the EEC, it's likely that the grants will continue. Take council housing. It doesn't tend to fail all at once. But if a thousand houses are up for demolition they knock them down at once. Regardless of the cost in both social and economic terms. It would be much cheaper and better for the local community to get ride of the worst buildings, then put others up to replace them. But only in small numbers. This way you keep the pressure of the rehousing list and create a better community. Not wipe it out in one JCB operation!   

Very near to the Hoffenbrau Bierkeller.

Coach loads of young ladies in attendance. Happy days.

Anyone have any photos of the Bierkeller?

PS I was young then too.

• Upvote 1

I remember when this was being built that there was a long delay due to them finding a coal seam which they had to dig out, many years later I was going down the ramp in a very old transit van with an ignition fault when it backfired just before I went under the footbridge which was full of people eating their suppers sadly most of them lost that supper due to the loud bang and big flash from the exhaust.