When was this built and when did it close?

Sheffield History

I’m not sure when it was built but I can remember driving through it in the later part of the 90’s. 

You allowed both ways at first then it went to one way and finally closed altogether. 

Always enjoyed aride ride through there. 

It was still open in 1980. To the top left is the Central Library with Arundel Gate snaking away into the distance. The oblong building is part of Sheffield Hallam University, formerly the Polytechnic. On the horizon is Hyde Park Flats.

The Wedding Cake Register Office isn't on this image, so the image predates that missed building.

Eyre Street underpass. I think it closed early 2000's and was unused for a few years before being filled in when Arundel Gate and Eyre Street were remodelled as single carriageways.

I used it a lot in the mid 70's onwards. As on the right hand side facing it was a Union building, which also was was used by Careers Service for young people.

I can understand why it was shut down. The pedestrian bridge is useless for wheelchair access. By the time of it's closure the Council were very into disabled access. 

Very true

It just seems that nothing really seems to last these days in Sheffield

We spend loads building things only to tear them down 20 or 30 years later

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield2/w02117.jpg

Here is a picture from Pictures Sheffield showing the demolition site of what was to become Furnival Square at the junction of Eyre Street and Furnival Street. The remaining building awaiting demolition was Turners (Eyre St) Ltd Nickel Silver manufacturers and one of Sheffields major cutlery blank suppliers. The corporation paid to move them and all their rolling mills and drop stamps to Sylvester Street.  

On 23/02/2018 at 20:28, Sheffield History said:

Very true

Much of it's to do with Government Grants. It's nothing generally to do with when a structure or building is faulty or structurally unsound. The Government gives a cash injection and someone says we will knock that down or build this. Much of the money used to come in part from the European Union, but even in these cash strapped times and the pulling out of the EEC, it's likely that the grants will continue. Take council housing. It doesn't tend to fail all at once. But if a thousand houses are up for demolition they knock them down at once. Regardless of the cost in both social and economic terms. It would be much cheaper and better for the local community to get ride of the worst buildings, then put others up to replace them. But only in small numbers. This way you keep the pressure of the rehousing list and create a better community. Not wipe it out in one JCB operation!   

Very near to the Hoffenbrau Bierkeller.

Coach loads of young ladies in attendance. Happy days.

Anyone have any photos of the Bierkeller?

PS I was young then too.

I remember when this was being built that there was a long delay due to them finding a coal seam which they had to dig out, many years later I was going down the ramp in a very old transit van with an ignition fault when it backfired just before I went under the footbridge which was full of people eating their suppers sadly most of them lost that supper due to the loud bang and big flash from the exhaust.

On 01/06/2022 at 14:36, Alastair said:

What's the story of this? Opencast mining on Eyre Street in 1967. 1142370346_Shutterstock_1344599a1967.jpg.2f39d2464f6b103b40e1be62351cdfc2.jpg

An excellent book "Remember Sheffield in the fifties, sixties & seventies by David Richardson 2002, page 54, shows a 'Map of the proposed Civic Circle from 1967 publicity leaflet'. This basically shows the planned route of the eventual Arundel Gate (dual carriageway) to the 'hole in the road' roundabout. The route of the Civic Circle then goes up High Street, Church Street, West Street, Down Carver Street to the Charter Row roundabout and back to the roundabout in the above photographs in this topic at the junction of Furnival Street and Eyre Street. The text below the plan says that by the time this map was published, the first section (Furnival Gate) had already been constructed. This part length of Furnival Gate from Charter Sqaure Roundabout (not yet built) to Union Street is marked as CONSTRUCTED. The road from here to part way down Angel Street is marked as UNDER CONSTRUCTION. Marked FUTURE EXTENSION OF CIVIC CIRCLE runs from the end of Fargate, up Church Street, West Street, Carver Street to the proposed Charter Row roundabout. The length of High Street is not marked with a proposal.

Leipzig

Love the old style Gas Lamps still around and the new concrete lamp post on the corner of the street, which by the look of it hasn't had it's lamp shade fitted yet.  There wasn't a great deal of choice in cars back in 1967. Two Ford's and two other cars that are the same on the same street. That sort of thing would be rare to see these days.

I believe when they started excavating for the underpass they found the coal seams from former mines, and had to excavate quite a lot and re-fill the area to stabilise the ground.

12 hours ago, History dude said:

There wasn't a great deal of choice in cars back in 1967. Two Ford's and two other cars that are the same on the same street. That sort of thing would be rare to see these days.

Yes and no. You might see smallish hatchbacks which are of a dozen different makes but which look virtually identical apart from their variety of ludicrous names (Qashquai, for chrissake, what is one?)

On 02/06/2022 at 08:06, Athy said:

Yes and no. You might see smallish hatchbacks which are of a dozen different makes but which look virtually identical apart from their variety of ludicrous names (Qashquai, for chrissake, what is one?)

I agree cars these days generally all look the same, and, ironically, the attempts to make them look different (e.g. by giving them ludicrously complicated light clusters* ) just make them look even more similar !

* Which cost a fortune to replace when they get damaged......

On 01/06/2022 at 19:16, History dude said:

Love the old style Gas Lamps still around and the new concrete lamp post on the corner of the street, which by the look of it hasn't had it's lamp shade fitted yet.  There wasn't a great deal of choice in cars back in 1967. Two Ford's and two other cars that are the same on the same street. That sort of thing would be rare to see these days.

Looks like a couple of Ford Anglias, a Morris Traveller, an Austin Cambridge and a couple of Ford Zodiacs. The photographer appears to have been standing in the NCP Multi Storey car park looking down Eyre Street.

On 02/06/2022 at 08:06, Athy said:

Apparently the Qashqai is named after the Qashqai people who live in moutainous Central and Southwestern Iran.

On 23/02/2018 at 20:28, Sheffield History said:

Very true

Couldn't agree more, I was born in the early 50's and have seen so very many thousands of homes knocked down, whole community's destroyed, split up all over the city, I'm all for the betterment of Sheffield but, seeing so many changes does leave me somewhat saddened.   

On 01/06/2022 at 19:16, History dude said:

There wasn't a great deal of choice in cars back in 1967. Two Ford's and two other cars that are the same on the same street. That sort of thing would be rare to see these days.

I think you might be surprised....in the 1950 to 67 period there were far more manufacturers than there have been in the last 20 years or so.

On 22/06/2022 at 09:03, Laz said:

Couldn't agree more, I was born in the early 50's and have seen so very many thousands of homes knocked down, whole community's destroyed, split up all over the city, I'm all for the betterment of Sheffield but, seeing so many changes does leave me somewhat saddened.   

"The town is being torn down and rebuilt at an immense speed."

George Orwell on Sheffield in 1936 from his diaries when he visited the city on his travels for  The Road to Wigan Pier:  

Think the original idea was to have an urban motorway encircling Sheffield similar to Coventry but this was downgraded to a dual carriageway which was then further downgraded in the early 2000s when this was filled in. Remember the underpass and used to stand on the footbridge watching the cars speed underneath