Street name help please

christine.e

Could anyone please tell me where Open Bridge Street was located in Sheffield around 1870?  The street is named on a death certificate I have, but the burial record states only Bridge Street.  I guess it might have been misspelt.

7 hours ago, ayfer said:

Don't know an "Open Bridge St", just a Bridge St. Any chance it could be a different word?

I am thinking the same, could we please have a scan of that document?

Thank you all for your responses and I apologise for not replying sooner.  I've now attached a copy of the DC on which the street name is recorded.  Any further ideas gratefully received.

1869 DC_Joseph Allen.jpg

These are the only Joseph Allen's in the 1856 Directory

Allen Joseph, butcher, Tomcross lane and Killing Shambles

Allen .Joseph, joiner and victualler. The Orange Branch, 28 Hollis croft

Allen Joseph, shopkeeper and file cutter, Bigod street, Parkhill  

The 1862 Directory

Allen Joseph., razor mnfr., 15 New Edward St

Allen Joseph, shpkr., 135 Broomhall St

Allen Joseph, shopkeeper, Bigod St., Park (This Street has long gone)

It could be that Open Bridge Street was just an un-adopted name.

burial St Mary Bramall Lane

ALLEN    Joseph    16    Jun    1869    Bridge St        37

Thank you to Tozzin and Neddy for the additional information.  This is very interesting for the following reasons: a) Joseph appears on the 1861 census at 135 Broomhall Street as a [pet/pot] shopkeeper, so it's useful to know he was still there in 1862; and (b) I did have Joseph's burial date but not his address - which appears to consolidate the fact that he died at Bridge Street.  I shall now ignore the 'Open' bit.  Many thanks again to everyone who's posted.

7 minutes ago, christine.e said:

Thank you to Tozzin and Neddy for the additional information.  This is very interesting for the following reasons: a) Joseph appears on the 1861 census at 135 Broomhall Street as a [pet/pot] shopkeeper, so it's useful to know he was still there in 1862; and (b) I did have Joseph's burial date but not his address - which appears to consolidate the fact that he died at Bridge Street.  I shall now ignore the 'Open' bit.  Many thanks again to everyone who's posted.

the Open bit could be that he died in Bridge Street but not at a address.

Probably wrong but after seeing the address of the witness I am just wondered if this could even refer to the Bridge Street near Washford Bridge that I think became Trent Street. Referred  to in White's 1862 as Bridge street, Carlton road, Attercliffe.

On 4/2/2018 at 09:52, neddy said:

possible link ?

Emma Woodhead -robinson

Eliza Robinson wife of Joseph.

Yes, thank you again.  Emma Robinson (the informant) is the sister of Eliza Robinson (who predeceased her husband Joseph by 3 years - married John Woodhead in 1845.  That was very kind of you to point this out.