Hunters Bar School

Sheffield History

Couldn’t tell you about the 60’s, but I was there (Junior school side) in the early 80’s.

Head teacher was Mr. Wilson. Also remember Miss Carter, Miss Holmes, Mr. Berry (music), Mr. Powys, and Mr. Smith.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2018 at 20:40, Sheffield History said:

28336618_10156111817967902_6616299095236099161_o.jpg

Hunters Bar School circa 1965

Recognise anyone you know? Anyone remember the teachers names there?

I recognise the brick work and Boys Girls immediately, but can't remember where this was. I remember the 'Manual', which was for 3rd and 4th years to re-enter the building when a break was complete. (whistle blew)

On 22/02/2018 at 04:02, neal m said:

Couldn’t tell you about the 60’s, but I was there (Junior school side) in the early 80’s.

Head teacher was Mr. Wilson. Also remember Miss Carter, Miss Holmes, Mr. Berry (music), Mr. Powys, and Mr. Smith.

Mr Wilson was certainly still alive about 18months to  2 years ago, because I met someone who knew him

Miss Carter was there at same time but never taught me, and can't remember what she looked like.

Miss Holmes, I think had long black hair, but never taught me. The last 3 all taught me at some time.

I was at Nether Green school. One afternoon a week we had to go down to Hunters bar school for woodwork classes.

My mother went to Hunters Bar school as a junior. The attached photo could be the pupils celebrating the end of WW1 when she was there.

H Bar school.jpg

• Like 1

RE The picture at the top of this thread, the gentleman on the far right is Mr. Whittlestone, the Headmaster.

Yes Mr. Whittleston the head teacher is definitely on the right. This would be mid 60''s, I recognise about half the kids on the picture, and can put names to most of them. It is probably of the class I was in, but I'm not on the picture, must have been I'll that day. Not too sure about the teachers on the left, but I think the second from the left could be Mrs. Fox.

I attended Hunters Bar  Infants' School from Jan 1947.  There was an open coal fire in the classroom. After a few weeks it started to snow and I didn't attend for weeks.  The Reception class teacher was Mrs Rawlinson(?); I missed much of the year, starting in January and then the school closed for the snow. Miss Needham was the head. I remember Miss Woolman and Miss Newton. In the main school I was taught by Miss Towle for two years in J1 and J2. In J3, we had Mr Jessop and Mr Flannery. The latter  was an entertaining and genial teacher but later became the permanently angry MP for Hillsborough. My parents took me out after J3 as I was not doing well enough. The head of the main school was Mr Thomas Bingham. There was the thickset and terrifying Mr George Long and the inspiring Clifford Kelly, also a naturalist and published poet.

I started there in 1951, <Miss Needham headmistress, i remember Jessop Gaitskel, Bingham, Kelly, wasnage,thumbnail_20170319_171415.jpg.aba21a4a04cbafe31fab6386e0c3f06a.jpg and i attach a photo of the christmas play when santa got stuck in the chimney. I am second left next to Michael Bentley

I went to Hunters Bar school from 1954 to 56.  At lunch time  remember we often had "mashed potatoes" as part of the main course.

It came in sealed containers which managed to just keep it warm and it tasted nothing like normal mash!

The class sizes were nothing like todays numbers our class was 45 people.

I went in 51 to 56 and loved school meals, it was the only cooked food we had during the week 5 shillings a week. Michael Wright

On 27/01/2021 at 09:25, Michael W said:

I started there in 1951, <Miss Needham headmistress, i remember Jessop Gaitskel, Bingham, Kelly, wasnage,thumbnail_20170319_171415.jpg.aba21a4a04cbafe31fab6386e0c3f06a.jpg and i attach a photo of the christmas play when santa got stuck in the chimney. I am second left next to Michael Bentley

Hi Is That You Michael Wright it’s your school friend Michael Astill or my nickname NAZ get in touch my phone number is 07825 178012 I now live in Modbury South Devon 

Hello, I am Melvyn Baxter, lived on Sharrowvale Rd next to Sherwoods chip shop with Ann's Coffee bar the other side. Went to Hunters Bar school from, I think 1949ish. I remember the snow and stood in the school yard with wellingtons on, and my feet were freezing. All the teachers mentioned I do remember particularly Wasnidge, great music teacher though. My sister also went to the school, but of course, we had a boys and girls seperate entrance. Happy days.  

20 hours ago, Melvyn Baxter said:

Hello, I am Melvyn Baxter, lived on Sharrowvale Rd next to Sherwoods chip shop with Ann's Coffee bar the other side. Went to Hunters Bar school from, I think 1949ish. I remember the snow and stood in the school yard with wellingtons on, and my feet were freezing. All the teachers mentioned I do remember particularly Wasnidge, great music teacher though. My sister also went to the school, but of course, we had a boys and girls seperate entrance. Happy days.  

Hi Melvyn, i remember you very well, i used to go in Annes cafe all the time and worked at Sharrow vale road garage. Seem to remember you knew the sisters Crawley very well also. It would be great to have a chat with you, are you on FB or whatsapp so we could talk on video. I live in Thailand now so i am 7 hours ahead of you. I am also in touch with John Tunney he lived in wayland road, do you remember him?

Michael Wright

Screenshot 2564-02-09 at 14.05.29.png

On 09/02/2021 at 07:07, Michael W said:

Hi Melvyn, i remember you very well, i used to go in Annes cafe all the time and worked at Sharrow vale road garage. Seem to remember you knew the sisters Crawley very well also. It would be great to have a chat with you, are you on FB or whatsapp so we could talk on video. I live in Thailand now so i am 7 hours ahead of you. I am also in touch with John Tunney he lived in wayland road, do you remember him?

Michael Wright

Screenshot 2564-02-09 at 14.05.29.png

Hi Michael, its so good to hear from you. I married one of the Crawley sisters Kathleen. We had 2 children Craig 53 and Aldra 49, we also have 4 grand children oldest 24 youngest 16 The Crawley girls were Robina, Oddete, and Leatha, Robina married a guy called Dave Hutchins, you may not remember him so well. Leatha married Melvyn Caley. Do you remember Steve Simpson? I saw John Tunney a long time ago he was living in Totley at the time. John Lochran  [Noj], also lived on Wayland Rd near to John Tunney, Who unfortunately died a lot of years ago. We looked at your photogragh and Kathleen said yes that's him as handsome as ever. I do whatsapp and my email is, m.h.baxter@btinternet.com Whatever took you to Thailand?  

WOW, how nice to hear from you, made my day, and so Happy to hear you married Kathleen they were a lovely Family of beutiful girls. I wnt down to live in Birmingham in 1967 and eventually got married, but that went pear shaped late 90s after 25 years, so i decided to have a change. I came to Thailand 1999 met a girl and got married again and never looked back. I have 2 children and 5 grandchildren, none from this marriage though. I am in touch with John Tunney and we speak each week, i heard about Noj that was a shock and know of several others who didn't make it. Simpson my mate i would love to chat with him again, we used to wander around in our leather jackets looking serious lol. Thank Kathleen for the compliment, unfortunately i look more like a character out of the walking dead right now!! MY health is not so good as i have had a stroke got a heart condition and COPD so i am confined to a wheelchair, other than that i am OK and still retain a sense of humour. 

Thanks again Melvyn for replying, my email is mawbkk@hotmail.com I will mail you my mobile number so we could chat on whatsapp. Stay safe. Michael

I was a 65 leaver, so if these were a J4 class, then either it was a different year (ie not 1965), OR there may have been two J4 classes, but I had always thought that there was only one class in each year group. Certainly I would remember kids in my class, but none of these are my co-pupils.

The headmaster was Mr Whittleston (not sure about the spelling) and I think the second teacher in the photo is Mrs Fox? 

As I've said before these kids were all in the same year as me, and we left in 1969, so I would guess this picture is sometime between 66 and 69.

Nigel L