History of Building - London Road

RSArchitect

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone know anything about the history of this building? I am using it for my final year architecture project and would greatly appreciate if anyone knows anything about its previous usage? It seems to have been empty for a while and I can't find any info online.

Thank you all!

DSC_0050.JPG

I think the piece of fenced in land to the right is where the Tramway Hotel stood.

On the site 'Picture Sheffield',  picture ref. no. s38570, it gives the occupier of your building as, George Barlow & Sons Ltd, shopfitters and showroom, 138 London Road.

Timeline, 1975-04.

An earlier picture, no. s21744 gives timeline 1940-1959 and show it adjoining the Tramway which is no. 126 London Road.

I remember it as Barlow shopfitters in the 60’s / 70’sbut would suggest that the original building goes back further than that. The fenced off area was indeed the Tramways public house. My parents talked of going there in the 1940’s. 

Thank you both,

I've managed to find info on the Tramway hotel, and later pub, as well as Barlow interiors ; but nothing before then.

Thanks for your responses!

20 hours ago, RSArchitect said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone know anything about the history of this building? I am using it for my final year architecture project and would greatly appreciate if anyone knows anything about its previous usage? It seems to have been empty for a while and I can't find any info online.

Thank you all!

DSC_0050.JPG

Seem to remember reading that this building once housed The Highfield Coffee House, owned by i think Sir Frederick Mappin in the late 1800s

An article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph says the Coffee House was built in 1877 for the benefit mainly of the work people of the district.

I have been wondering about the decorative panels on this building and who might have made them. There is an increasing interest in the craft of making these panels - e.g. the saving of the William Mitchell panel on the back of the old Co Op on Burgess Street. 

I am guessing they were put up when the building got taken over by Barlows as shopfitters - but cant find much on any of this.  Seems like there was a planning application approved in 2009 to convert the building into a mix of offices, bar/restaurant and retail - but never realised. This would see the Tramway demolished which is the only thing that did take place.

Shame there isn't more known on this building with its interesting past (see the coffee house thread) and features like these interesting panels.

Barlows seem to have been around the corner in Keetons Hill from about 1911 when the Triumph Works of William and Thomas May became vacant due to their liquidation.  Mays were church and school furnishers and offered the works for sale from 1908 as a going concern to include all the wood working machinery. The Whites directory for 1911 shows both Mays and Barlow at Keetons Hill. Watts Brothers who sold woodworking machinery and gas and oil engines, were there in 1913, and it may have been partly rented to a number of firms.  Both Watts and Barlow were at Keeton Hill in 1939.

In 1933 Kellys Directory no 136 is occupied by Fred Dover Ltd (Hibberts) Confectioners (no entry for 138) and Barlow and Watts are still at Keetons Hill. 

In 1957's Kellys Directory Barlows were at number 138 London Road and Refrigerator Contracts Ltd at no.136 (next to the Tramway). A photo from 1965 shows that 136 and 138 were joined and appear to be occupied by the refrigeration concern.  By 1969 Kellys shows Barlows at 138 London Road (no entry for 136).

1772487855_KeetonsHill1890.png.05f8ac3c0db1a2fca6c67ea1af11da41.png

Watts Bros 1938.png

21/00728/FUL
"Demolition of office building on London Road frontage and development of five-storey high mixed use scheme buildings comprising ground floor retail and 17 residential units on upper floors, extension and refurbishment of existing office building on Broom Close to create storage units and 13 residential units on upper levels (30 residential units in total), landscaping and associated works | 1 Broom Close, 136-138 And Site Of Former 126 London Road Sheffield S2 4NH".

Planning Application Documents

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QOS9ZENYGLP00

Screenshot (283).png