Sheffield Wednesday 1966 Cup Final Team

Sheffield History

Wednesday played in white shirts because Everton wore Royal blue shirts and were alphabetically preferred to wear their home colours.

3 hours ago, Martin Ede said:

Wednesday played in white shirts because Everton wore Royal blue shirts and were alphabetically preferred to wear their home colours.

I believe they played in the white kit for all the FACup games that season as they wre drawn away in every round!

18 hours ago, dunsbyowl1867 said:

I believe they played in the white kit for all the FACup games that season as they wre drawn away in every round!

For one horrible moment, when I first saw this, another Yorkshire club came to mind!  In '66'  I watched the Final on TV (b&w of course) in between dealing with voters at a Polling Station in rural Yorkshire; didn't close until 10 pm!  Wasn't the alternative in those earlier days of rationing (40's/50's) a white shirt with Black shorts?.

Seems to me that all sports these days are competing to see who can produce the most colourful "pyjamas", it keeps the clothing trade going:)

On 18/02/2018 at 17:27, dunsbyowl1867 said:

That’s right dunsby. In many ways it was better than playing in that awful kit that we’ve managed to recreate for this memorable season! I think they were happy to play in all white and considered it lucky.

I went to every round bar the first match at Reading. I think if Mobley hadn’t got injured in the semi v Chelsea that they’d have gone on to win it. 

They were on the cusp of being a great side but when the freescoring David Ford got injured in that fatal car crash the season after they seemed to lose their way

I've seen this photo before, and all I can think is, WHERE THE HELL IS IT?

Was there some sort of old pub type building at Middlewood Road?  Could it have been at the team hotel the day before the actual final?  It is the actual eleven which played in the final, and judging by the smiles, it's before the game was played.  It just looks such an odd location.