Spanish Steel Works on Pinfold Lane in Sheffield

Sheffield History

Staniforth Road Sheffield.jpg

Privies at the back of the Spanish Steel Works off Pinfold Lane now called Staniforth Road Darnall Sheffield

• Like 1

I wonder from where the works got their name... Were they owned by a Spanish company? Were they named after a companies major market? Must say, I have never come across them before. I am intrigued.

Grace's Guide has the Spanish Steel Works as being owned by Willans, Arnold & Co in 1885, the company later becoming Willans, Arnold & Colley. I have not come across anything explaining the name of the works yet, though :(

Location (map from old-maps.co.uk):

spanish steel works.jpg

• Like 1

I think the name may relate to the fame of Toledo Steel. So probably the grade of steel named Toledo Steel or some other grade of Spanish Steel. Toledo Spanish Steel involved forging two types of steel in perfect proportions at a temperature of 800 degrees Celsius. The only other thing I can think of is that they used Spanish iron.

EDIT No mention of the word Spanish but as Toledo is in Spain this may be relevant:-   J H Andrew and Company Limited, Toledo Steel Works, Neepsend Lane, and Effingham Road, published a catalogue with notes on the treatment, forging and tempering of ‘Toledo’ tool steel, 19th  -20th cent. which is available at Sheffield Local Studies Library.

The Toledo connection is interesting especially as we had local companies called...Andrews-Toledo and Toledo-Woodhead, The latter manufacturing springs.