Fine Fare and Fred Hartley at Manor Top

Sheffield History

5 hours ago, Markbaby said:

What a great photo!
I used to go to Fred Hartley's at Manor Top to buy "pop-ex" 45r.p.m. ex juke box singles.

The Manor Top Fred Hartley's was my local when it came to buying the pop-ex 45s as well. My dad might have gone there for motoring items back in the days when he tinkered with his cars but I only remember him going to the one on Queens Road.

I used to go to Fred Hartleys when I lived at Gleadless.

Park round the back, if you were lucky your car still had it's wheels on when you got back.

We were talking about this just the other day. Didn't Fred Hartley's later become Oldfield's Freezer Centre?

It did become that Freezer centre. I think it had a couple of changes before becoming that though. I think another discount DIY store took over from Fred first.

They used to have model trains and toys in a Christmas. Well one of the business did that was in that building.

The cabin was owned by Barnard's, who had the toy shop and sweet shop on the other side of City Road. I think it was burned down!

I remember Fine Fare too. It was quite expensive for food. They did sell Pork and Pepper loaf at the chilled meat section. It was like thin sliced ham with red peppers in it. You don't seem to be able to get it now.