EBAY - POSTCARD PUB - BOY - BANNER CROSS SHEFFIELD

boginspro

It’s the Banner Cross Pub (original name eh?). Still looks much the same.

edit: scrub that. I think I’m completely wrong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shortcrust said:

It’s the Banner Cross Pub (original name eh?). Still looks much the same.

edit: scrub that. I think I’m completely wrong!

Perhaps un-scrub that, shortcrust  as  Calvin72  says the slope looks right and also the skyline, and is that possibly Marmion Road a bit further down. Could this be an older Banner Cross pub building?  I can't even remember what it looked like fifty years ago.

I would agree it is the Banner Cross pub. The lad standing by the kerb looks to be at the bottom of the path that leads up to Psalter Lane. Looking at Google maps, most of the buildings have been rebuilt over the years.

• Like 1

There is still the alley way to the right of the pub. This exists to the right of the Banner today so that ties in. Didn'nt Charlie Peace have some association with the houses to the left of the pub. Can some one do a screen shot from Google Maps to show us how close the two are/were? (Not sure how to do it myself, that's why I ask).

• Like 1

I realise that not only did the pub extend up the hill, it swallowed up a couple of houses down the hill too. I'll get another angle to try and illustrate that. IMHO it looks like the pub was rebuilt in the 20's/30's. Can anyone date the original photo ?

Edit: There you go. Maybe it didn't swallow up more houses down the street...

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 19.25.46.png

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for solving this one for me, it has turned out more interesting than I could have hoped.

I have found this drawing of Charlie Peace with the pub at the back and also a picture of Dyson's house on Picture Sheffield.

Can anyone remember what the pub looked like in the 60's / 70's please? Though I had a girl friend in the area and also passed the place regularly while working the Derbyshire bus routes I can't remember what it looked like at that time but don't think it looked like it does now..          ----------------------

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27547&pos=121&action=zoom&id=29948

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s37784&pos=353&action=zoom&id=114680

peace_banner_cross.jpg

dysons_house.jpg

On 16/02/2018 at 19:24, unrecordings said:

I realise that not only did the pub extend up the hill, it swallowed up a couple of houses down the hill too. I'll get another angle to try and illustrate that. IMHO it looks like the pub was rebuilt in the 20's/30's. Can anyone date the original photo ?

Edit: There you go. Maybe it didn't swallow up more houses down the street...

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 19.25.46.png

My first acquaintance with the area was in 1939. Nice to see someone calling it the gennel. Mention just  that and everyone knew where you meant. To us it was straight down  and across to  the Co-op for the milk tokens. ( never heard them called checks) or down Ecclesall Road to the cinema. Quite definitely the Banner Cross had been rebuilt  by then as it extended over the last few yards of the gennel. 

Whilst it was always the gennel, if the subject came up as it only did now and again it became "Charlie Peace's Alley".We knew of the 1876 Dyson murder and Peace's ultimate execution in 1879 and not much else. There is an unbelievable amount of conflicting stories about the incident on various web sites. In the context of this thread there is a claim that there is a bullet mark on the stone  lintel over the gennel. Not bad for a man who had been dead for fifty years or so before it was erected. 

• Like 1