Old Sheffield dishes

Thorntons girl

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:42, Athy said:

Heartshome has evoked another memory - tomato sausages! These days of course you wouldn't be permitted to sell them under that name, as the tomato wasn't the main ingredient, but I have a fond memory of them. Then, when I was 9 or 10 years old, someone told my Mum that the tomato sausages were of lower quality than beef or pork ones and had all the left-overs in (I am not sure how true this was) and the miserable cow stopped buying them.

Try Willey's butchers in Woodhouse. Had some from there only last week, delicious I am sure if you ask other butchers do them but maybe only the local type butchers.

2 hours ago, Peter Walker said:

Try Willey's butchers in Woodhouse. Had some from there only last week, delicious I am sure if you ask other butchers do them but maybe only the local type butchers.

Thank you, Peter. I am unlikely to set foot in Wood'us any time soon (in fact I probably haven't been there since my Dad left his teaching post at the Grammar School), but it is good to hear of such traditions continuing.

On 25/02/2018 at 15:26, midge said:

Loved Sheffield fishcakes used to have them with scraps n salt and vinegar. I used to peel the batter off first, then eat the potato the the fish. Just loved em.

They not Yorkshire fishcakes ? 2 thick slices of potato and fish int middle in batter? .

Used to get them in 80s cos we couldnt afford fish ...