Photos of Darnall - what year/s?

Sheffield History

The one with the open top tram dates from between 1902 when tram 175 (or is it 176) was built and 1905 when it had a top cover fitted.

Just love all the advertising on the medical stores on the right. Sometimes I think I could use something like Dr Scott's Syrup for those annoying coughs I seem prone to.

Tram 490 in the first picture was in service from 1926, but I think the new Methodist Church on the right would be later than that, I think it will be just before the war.

3 hours ago, madannie77 said:

The one with the open top tram dates from between 1902 when tram 175 (or is it 176) was built and 1905 when it had a top cover fitted.

Just love all the advertising on the medical stores on the right. Sometimes I think I could use something like Dr Scott's Syrup for those annoying coughs I seem prone to.

The through route from Crookes to Darnall was introduced in January 1903, there is a smaller cropped copy of this picture in C C Hall's 'Sheffield Transport'. It does confirm it as tram 175  which seems to have remained in service until 1930.

I think the tram 490 picture is 1952 or later as Zebra crossings were only just becoming into operation.

• Like 1

Regarding the one with the Post Office, according to White's directories T Andrews was there by 1901 and still there in 1911    ----------        "133 Main Road, Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office; Tom Andrews, sub-postmaster"      ---------       I think the shop was on the corner of Cravens Road and a hardware shop in the 1960's.

18 hours ago, Voldy said:

I think the tram 490 picture is 1952 or later as Zebra crossings were only just becoming into operation.

Thanks for that information: I had no idea that zebra crossings were of such recent origin, but I looked them up and yes, they were first tried out in 1949 and were generally introduced in 1951.