The Wharncliffe Arms, West Street, Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

I see "The Jungle" on a poster but can't make out anything else on either poster. I wonder if that refers to Frank Bostock's Jungle 1910 to 1913 or the 1914 silent film.

According to the list of known keepers in the A-Z lists William Parnell was the keeper in 1916 but not in 1913 (George Henry Pace) or 1917 (Frederick William Royce).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madannie77 said:

According to the list of known keepers in the A-Z lists William Parnell was the keeper in 1916 but not in 1913 (George Henry Pace) or 1917 (Frederick William Royce).

That would appear to eliminate Bostock's Jungle. It could possibly refer to the film, or perhaps to a local stage production based on the book.

According to this article from The Star the Wharncliffe Arms was originally called The Manchester.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/retro/retro-sheffield-pub-crawl-along-old-west-street-1-7068334

It was on our West Street pub crawl in the 60's.

Given I've just posted about the other side of West Street, I'm also intrigued by the Wharncliffe Arms and the uses of the site thereafter.

The Wharncliffe Arms was at Nos. 42-44. Does anyone know what was next to it on West Street? The replacement building is significantly wider and it's unclear what was on the rest of the site, but every photo I've found of the Wharncliffe Arms is from the Holly Street side or angled in a way that you can't see what was next door. Was it businesses or residential?

Also, does anyone know when the Wharncliffe Arms was knocked down and the new block that stands there now built?

Thirdly, does anyone know what the block that's there now was used for? Photos I've found from when I assume it had just been built look, from the windows and lighting, like it was originally offices. Someone once told me the Jobcentre used to be in there, but I feel like they were getting mixed up with the telephone exchange further down. I know it was converted into flats in the 2000s.

Any photos that anyone has that answer any of these questions would also be welcome!