Sheffield 1939

k french

Please can someone help me?

The internet is useless. If you were reasonably well off in Sheffield in the late 1930s, what would you do as a 16 year old girl? Would you still be in education or would you work? Or would you do charitable/ voluntary work? Or would you simple enjoy yourself?

Many thanks

Much appreciated

5 hours ago, k french said:

Please can someone help me?

The internet is useless. If you were reasonably well off in Sheffield in the late 1930s, what would you do as a 16 year old girl? Would you still be in education or would you work? Or would you do charitable/ voluntary work? Or would you simple enjoy yourself?

Many thanks

Much appreciated

Depends on your educational capabilities. My mother left school at 16 with a couple of 0 Levels then trained a few months to become a shorthand typist. Her sister went to school until 18 to get A levels then went to Teacher Training College in London. Those who didn't pass the 11 plus exam to go to Grammar School would probably leave school at 15 to work either as a shop girl or in a factory. I would imagine if the family was reasonably well off they would prefer her to do shop work. In my Secondary School of 11+ failures that was in a fairly affluent area many of the girls leaving school at 15 had obtained places at Nursing School to become nurses.