Handsworth Herbal Medicine Stores

Sheffield History

Handsworth Herbal Medicine Stores.jpg

Handsworth Herbal Medicine Stores, 364 Handsworth Road, Sheffield

Handsworth Herbal Medicine Stores, 364 Handsworth Road.jpg

• Like 2

July 1938, when “All the best brands of cigs and sweets” (painted on the left of the shop front) and Coca-Cola were included in the Herbal medicine stores! Not sure you would see those in Holland & Barratt today? lol

Equally odd, given next door is a sweet shop and tobacconist? Maybe the shopkeeper outside No.366 owns both businesses?

Or maybe he is fighting back, by enticing customers to use his chocolate machine, by chalking on his shop front, just by the drain pipe..... “1d Cadbury’s choc in this doorway it’s ??? ...” 

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u08748&action=zoom&pos=2&id=106704&continueUrl=

Great photos and lots of detail...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Handsworth Herbal Medicine Stores.jpg

Handsworth Herbal Medicine Stores, 364 Handsworth Road, Sheffield

Handsworth Herbal Medicine Stores, 364 Handsworth Road.jpg

I think I preferred the old version to the current one lol. Sarsparilla and sweets - what more could I possibly want.

6 hours ago, RLongden said:

July 1938, when “All the best brands of cigs and sweets” (painted on the left of the shop front) and Coca-Cola were included in the Herbal medicine stores! Not sure you would see those in Holland & Barratt today? lol

Equally odd, given next door is a sweet shop and tobacconist? Maybe the shopkeeper outside No.366 owns both businesses?

Or maybe he is fighting back, by enticing customers to use his chocolate machine, by chalking on his shop front, just by the drain pipe..... “1d Cadbury’s choc in this doorway it’s ??? ...” 

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u08748&action=zoom&pos=2&id=106704&continueUrl=

Great photos and lots of detail...

The "cigs and sweets" bit made me laugh out loud so much. Not really what herbalists sell these days.

Then again, I remember my mum buying me lollipops from the local chemist when I was very much younger than today - possibly to take my mind off the nasty taste of some of the medicine coming later! 

On 2/4/2018 at 16:54, madannie77 said:

Then again, I remember my mum buying me lollipops from the local chemist when I was very much younger than today - possibly to take my mind off the nasty taste of some of the medicine coming later! 

But they were probably glucose or barley sugar lollipops - supposed to be good for you.

10 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

But they were probably glucose or barley sugar lollipops - supposed to be good for you.

That, I recall, was the selling point used, not that I understood any difference at the time between those lollipops and the ones from the sweetshop nearby.

They were good for me, as I liked them and they cheered me up when I was under the weather lol