The Corner Pin pub on Carlisle Street East, Sheffield

Sheffield History

The Corner Pin pub Sheffield.jpg

The Corner Pin Public House

No. 235 Carlisle Street East
at the junction with Lyons Street looking towards All Saints Church with Firth Brown Tools Ltd behind the pub

First licensed to sell beer in 1840. One of 26 public houses serving the steel industry along a three- quarter mile stretch of Carlisle Street.It is said to have a ghost who likes to turn the lights on in the middle of the night and footfalls can be heard 

Corner Pin Pub Sheffield.jpg

How it looks today 

• Like 1

Had many a lunch time in the Corner Pin, sausage and onion sandwich and a pint, I worked in Firth Brown's tyre mill across the road in the early sixties.

I'm not sure about the ghost though how anyone could hear footfall with the steam hammers banging for three shifts a day, perhaps they were the foot falls.

The Carwood  pub across the road  actually back on to the tyre mill. 

Bev Foster

I too enjoyed the odd pint in the Corner Pin...especially on a Saturday lunchtime with my son...on a weekend break from UNI.

Guest leksand
On 04/02/2018 at 08:29, Sheffield History said:

The Corner Pin Public House
No. 235 Carlisle Street East at the junction with Lyons Street looking towards All Saints Church with Firth Brown Tools Ltd behind the pub

First licensed to sell beer in 1840. One of 26 public houses serving the steel industry along a three- quarter mile stretch of Carlisle Street.It is said to have a ghost who likes to turn the lights on in the middle of the night and footfalls can be heard 

It wouldn't have been there in 1840. I think perhaps the Corner Pin, Wicker would have been and maybe someone has mixed them up. The Corner Pin, Atlas appears as a small magenta blob on the 1890's map below. The pale green 1850's overlay illustrates how little development there was in the area at the time.Image53.jpg.3fd431756d39ab18bebac91677ac383b.jpg

Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland