Haymarket in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

Haymarket Sheffield.jpg
Haymarket Sheffield City Centre

Was Haymarket really this busy back in the day?

It looks packed! Is this normal shopping day or do you think it was a special occasion?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Haymarket Sheffield.jpg
Haymarket Sheffield City Centre

Was Haymarket really this busy back in the day?

It looks packed! Is this normal shopping day or do you think it was a special occasion?

a normal shopping day, sheffield is big but it was a community of people that knew and helped each other when times were tough,, don't think that would happen today, or taking in other peoples kids to look after

Yes town was thriving back then. Tram lines but no trams or wires that I can see, new Woolies being built, it must be about 1961.

Picture Sheffield gives date as 22 July 1961 ( spot on boginspro!) which was a Saturday. The AEC Regent III  - VWJ 541 was one of nine Roe bodied vehicles out of 85 AEC's delivered in 1956/57 for tram replacement services, seen here on Route 24 to Tinsley. Used to love the smell of Ground coffee which drifted out of Davy's.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voldy said:

Picture Sheffield gives date as 22 July 1961 ( spot on boginspro!) which was a Saturday. The AEC Regent III  - VWJ 541 was one of nine Roe bodied vehicles out of 85 AEC's delivered in 1956/57 for tram replacement services, seen here on Route 24 to Tinsley. Used to love the smell of Ground coffee which drifted out of Davy's.:rolleyes:

Sorry to be a bit off topic but was that AEC Regent fleet number 741 please or is my memory failing me?

15 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

VWJ541 was indeed numbered 741, according to the sources I have, the batch of nine being 736-744. 

Thank you.

Haymarket Sheffield.jpg

HaymarketSheffield.jpg

Am I right here - is this correct in terms of before and after positions?

• Like 1

I think you are right, though my last visit to this part of the city was in the previous century!  My initial reaction to the black & white picture was "Act 1 Scene 1 - 'Macbeth' " lol

2 minutes ago, Voldy said:

I think you are right, though my last visit to this part of the city was in the previous century!  My initial reaction to the black & white picture was "Act 1 Scene 1 - 'Macbeth' " lol

Ha ha yeah same here!

31 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Haymarket Sheffield.jpg

Haymarket in the 1930's looking even busier than ever!

When going shopping actually meant “going shopping “ no online, the only online was your moms washing line. Such happy, happy days.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2020 at 18:46, Sheffield History said:

Haymarket Sheffield.jpg

HaymarketSheffield.jpg

Am I right here - is this correct in terms of before and after positions?

Yes that's the Yellow Lion pub and the Norfolk Market Hall in the background. 

This latest picture reveals a further clue for the year. The AEC Regent appears to be one of the 14 Weymann bodied buses which joined the fleet early in 1937,whilst the Cravens bodied Leyland TD4c in the other picture (crossing from Castle Street to Exchange Street) was new early in 1936.

The presence of the flags and bunting suggests that this was close to the Coronation of King George VI  in May 1937.

The bus indicator seems to read 'Bents Green via Psalter Lane' , a shortened version of the Ringinglow route?