Farfield Inn, Neepsend Lane, Sheffield

Sheffield History

Another case of people messing about with historic pub names, it's original name meant something     ---------      Hunter 1819  

farfield.png

Memory plays tricks sometimes but I am sure this pub was called The Monkey by the workers at Andrews Toledo across the road. I think I am right in saying that a local "bookmaker" sat inside the door where he could leg it quick if the law came calling. Anyone  else remember that ?

4 hours ago, ex pat said:

Memory plays tricks sometimes but I am sure this pub was called The Monkey by the workers at Andrews Toledo across the road. I think I am right in saying that a local "bookmaker" sat inside the door where he could leg it quick if the law came calling. Anyone  else remember that ?

The  ( monkey ) Victoria Hotel was on the corner of Parkwood Road.

Thanks Neddy.   The bookmaker was usually sitting in the Farfield though 'cos I was sent over to him a couple of times by the boss. My one and only win 33 to 1 with a six pence bet.

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:42, neddy said:

The  ( monkey ) Victoria Hotel was on the corner of Parkwood Road.

I worked at Andrews Toledo's in the early 70's and sometimes nipped in the Victoria Hotel,  aka "The Monkey".  Now La Plata Monkey works..

On 29/07/2018 at 19:36, Pitsmoor Col said:

I worked at Andrews Toledo's in the early 70's and sometimes nipped in the Victoria Hotel,  aka "The Monkey".  Now La Plata Monkey works..

I am assisting solicitors to investigate how a gentleman diagnosed with an asbestos disease was exposed to asbestos during his working life.

He worked at 

Sheffield Rolling Mills Ltd 1969/70 to 1972/73

and

Andrews Toledo Ltd.1966/67 and 1968/69

Can anybody assist with any information please as to asbestos in these workplaces.

Thank you