Demolition of Sheffield

Tina

The demolition of Sheffield in the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's a blaze was the sky with fires from the demolition sites there were only a few known Sheffield Companies at the time

A.D.H Demolition Limited (contracted to Sheffield Council) 

A. Whites Demoliiton Ltd

Childs Demolition Ltd

Demex Ltd

J. Whites Ltd and later T.D.E (Rotherham) (ancestors of A. Whites demolition)

i remember as an only child going with my parents to the demolition sites, i remember the black sooty days crooks moor was ablaze with fires and being situated on a hill you could look across  Sheffield and see other contractors lighting the sky. The forgotten demolition men and woman contractors that made Adolf Hitler assault on sheffield oblivious.

The Sheffield Council pillaged property with compulsory purchase took peoples homes and business for pittance of monies, i remember sometimes wed pull houses down leaving the odd one still standing whilst the owners or tenants were fighting for their legal rights to stay or be given a better deal.

Sheffield Council insisted on the demolition of what we would see today as historical buildings but to the council they was drab, nuisance and needed to be pulled down our sheffield architecture of centuries past were stone masons are not of what is today ended up a pile of rubble and down the tip it went. Odd pieces will have survived and relocated without knowing and the next generation losing site.

I know the red set that lay on the floor in kelham island were taken from the Sheffield Abattoir and re laid in the museum yet a piece of history is lost again and no mention of where they arrived from they just part of the decor of the museum yet in truth is part of a bigger history.

i attach a stone fireplace my parents built in a property still in the sheffield area, the new owners of that property will never know the history of that house or where that huge fireplace with its ornate archway came from.  The archway formed the door way to the GAS HOUSE on commercial Street its were you paid your account (its historic significance to Sheffield is when sheffield turned from Candle Light to Gas. 

i attach another photo of a font that was part of the St josephs convent, common side

htpp://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/environmental-health-part-park-hill-slums-1-5

I'm hoping a log can be made on this site for anyone to upload demolition photographs and maybe if theres any demolition men left that worked on these site can contribute before history is lost. I was a fortunate person i know much of sheffield i lived the era and a breathed it with my family. Im trying to see if we can make a single page where all the data of the lost (demolished) can be found, before it is too late.

I want to see what the public holds before i update this site again with All the 1000 pictures and documents i hold of Sheffieldimageproxy.php?img=&key=ff09c6054f30b62a

20180202_144941#1.jpg

20180202_162816.jpg.6c85a9ba331a09da09659de87cffab46.jpg20180202_171131.jpg.af05587c4cb5fb979a30cfe00652ce1a.jpg

• Like 1

J. White TDE was James White Aaron White's son.

J.V. Wilson Demolition was Aaron White's daughter( Madge),Marjorie.

The bricks that built the little mesters shop at Kelham came from Minto Road

• Like 1

A great idea for a topic, Tina.

I think the history of the demolition of so many buildings is much neglected, possibly because of the negativity often associated with the act of destruction. However we choose to look at what happened in the 1960s, 70s and 80s the demolitions played an important role in shaping the city of Sheffield as it is today, so it is good that the subject has been aired.

Hopefully there will be plenty of contributions. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, neddy said:

J. White TDE was James White Aaron White's son.

J.V. Wilson Demolition was Aaron White's daughter( Madge),Marjorie.

The bricks that built the little mesters shop at Kelham came from Minto Road

was you a demolition contractor or worker. Derek White, Aaron son was brought up in my fathers family as their own derek & pat was married from my grandparents Archie hull (senior )

i remember Demolition workers

Terence (Terry - I nicknamed him the giant)

Joe Crothers, (machine driver)

Lawrence (Lol) went boxing alot

Mick Checkley ( remember him working in hide park dog track)

Johnny Bradshaw (deceased)

i remember that 12 men from the wakefield area worked regular alongside my mum  for a good 6 years but cannot recall these mens names at present.

26 minutes ago, Tina said:

was you a demolition contractor or worker. Derek White, Aaron son was brought up in my fathers family as their own derek & pat was married from my grandparents Archie hull (senior )

i remember Demolition workers

Terence (Terry - I nicknamed him the giant)

Joe Crothers, (machine driver)

Lawrence (Lol) went boxing alot

Mick Checkley ( remember him working in hide park dog track)

Johnny Bradshaw (deceased)

i remember that 12 men from the wakefield area worked regular alongside my mum  for a good 6 years but cannot recall these mens names at present.

Worker through the 70's for Wilsons, two brothers  I remember worked for your parents, your dad will know who I mean,  fat Alan your dad had him spinning on the tup ball and Barrie, cut his arm bad when they were demolishing Lockwood & Edwards on Penistone Road, both now deceased. Vaguely remember the names Joe Crothers and Johnny Bradshaw, was Terry the one into American cars had a brother working for White's. I seem to remember your mom driving a bomber car at Brampton racetrack.

14 minutes ago, neddy said:

Worker through the 70's for Wilsons, two brothers  I remember worked for your parents, your dad will know who I mean,  fat Alan your dad had him spinning on the tup ball and Barrie, cut his arm bad when they were demolishing Lockwood & Edwards on Penistone Road, both now deceased. Vaguely remember the names Joe Crothers and Johnny Bradshaw, was Terry the one into American cars had a brother working for White's. I seem to remember your mom driving a bomber car at Brampton racetrack.

I remember fat Alan well, whats your name? yes he had a brother working for whites and i remember Wilsons yes mum had a bomber car (Jaguar) they were into everything.

11 minutes ago, Tina said:

I remember fat Alan well, whats your name? yes he had a brother working for whites and i remember Wilsons yes mum had a bomber car (Jaguar) they were into everything.

Always known on the demo same as my user name on here.

11 minutes ago, neddy said:

11 minutes ago, neddy said:

Sheffield Abattoir Cricket Inn Road, sheffield Demolished 3rd January 1982

people in the photos

Archie, Tony, Terry (known as giant, into American Cars), unknown man & dot

20180202_202206.jpg

20180202_202214.jpg

20180202_202222.jpg

20180202_202231.jpg

20180202_202239.jpg

20180202_202247.jpg

20180202_202256.jpg

20180202_202307.jpg

20180202_202314.jpg

20180202_202326.jpg

20180202_202334.jpg

20180202_202342.jpg

20180202_202349.jpg

20180202_202356.jpg

20180202_202412.jpg

20180202_202425.jpg

20180202_202434.jpg

20180202_202440.jpg

20180202_202447.jpg

20180202_202458.jpg

• Like 1

Last time I saw Terry he was working a digger near Hillsborough Park on the underground flood defense, 6ft 6ins and mild mannered.

It feels a little odd to be "liking" photos of the destruction of a building, but that is a fantastic collection of images of something probably not often recorded by many people.

• Like 1

There was a fella used to come round the sites taking photo's, looks like he may have died and someone was selling his pic's on the net a couple of years back,

I screen captured a couple of his at the demolition of The Oddfellowes, starring me fat Alan and three of the White's.

Me and workmate Arthur tipping hardcore on the gas works tip Parkwood Road

me and arthur.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theimposter1979 said:

Neddy- is that the Oddfellows at Attercliffe? Would love to see the photos 

It was the Oddfellows at Duke Street/Talbot Street, the photo's were under copyright so I don't know how I'd go on.

Hi Neddy,

If you could check or let me know who has the photos i'd love to see them/ potentially use them. My email is sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

Cheers

Jamie

31 minutes ago, theimposter1979 said:

Hi Neddy,

If you could check or let me know who has the photos i'd love to see them/ potentially use them. My email is sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

Cheers

Jamie

Found this one on Pinterest may be you could chase it from there, I think the photographers name was Ron as in the link but I can't remember his second name.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/0d/ba/e5/0dbae55a9d034295e28813c46e1927a5--sheffield-ron.jpg

0dbae55a9d034295e28813c46e1927a5--sheffi

19 hours ago, madannie77 said:

A great idea for a topic, Tina.

I think the history of the demolition of so many buildings is much neglected, possibly because of the negativity often associated with the act of destruction. However we choose to look at what happened in the 1960s, 70s and 80s the demolitions played an important role in shaping the city of Sheffield as it is today, so it is good that the subject has been aired.

Hopefully there will be plenty of contributions. 

The demolition of a Sheffield Factory in 1994?

dormer.jpg

• Like 1

The sad thing is that many of those previously working in these buildings were thrown on the scrap heap following the de-industrialisation of Britain as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, madannie77 said:

It feels a little odd to be "liking" photos of the destruction of a building, but that is a fantastic collection of images of something probably not often recorded by many people.

That' the point shefgield history site been missing.ALL the 'LOST  the men & mainly my mother of  contractors & workers ( were & are) really the ones that could recall most , exactly positioned but now most have died some still young. A whites have ceased old man still living but he' in his 90s our company finished 1988  childs ( roy & jim ) they dead between the few of us there were only 2 or 3 that were the MAIN contractors for sheffield council & mostly did the slum clearance the others targeted the factories. Or Rotherham we only did houses in Rotherham, pubs no factories.

Your archive of photos will be with the descndants and some may not even know the history they hold..just that their dad demolished..

It was an industry that was different from any other industry. It wasn' a job were you stayed..

The demolition men of that era 60s 70s & 80s came & went each job ( it was the men that went) .

The demolition contractors would tender for the job, they held their own council and looked out for each other. 

The workmen used to know through their own net work ( their was no mobile net work readily like their is today) ofvwhich contractor was doing which job. It was the workmen thst would go see the contractor to ask when that job was coming down. Rarely did our firm have to get in touch with job centre back then to request men.

The men worked where they wanted , they were tough brawny men. The job was hard labour in a day. But they worked were they could say ( I help pull thst down)

17 hours ago, neddy said:

There was a fella used to come round the sites taking photo's, looks like he may have died and someone was selling his pic's on the net a couple of years back,

I screen captured a couple of his at the demolition of The Oddfellowes, starring me fat Alan and three of the White's.

me and arthur.jpg

Keep the stories & the photos coming needy lets hope some more demo men have learnt technology and will contribute.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, neddy said:

me and arthur.jpg

Keep The memories & the photos if you have any neddy, Demolition in the 60's70's & 80's are not what it is today neither is the way the men work.

A forgotten era that needs remembering and the Contractors of that time that shaped Sheffield & Rotherham , what it is today

16 hours ago, neddy said:

Found this one on Pinterest may be you could chase it from there, I think the photographers name was Ron as in the link but I can't remember his second name.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/0d/ba/e5/0dbae55a9d034295e28813c46e1927a5--sheffield-ron.jpg

0dbae55a9d034295e28813c46e1927a5--sheffi

I remember that man used to be around all the time my mum was a novelty to some photographers a women in a mans world , Dot drew a lot of respect from the men she worked with too.

12 hours ago, neddy said:

Found him Ron Sanderson,

Don't know if the pics are in there.

I can't zoom in right good but that looks to be behind the HYDE PARK on the higher ground was the Hyde Park Dog Track, ADH (Demoliion) Ltd demolished that, 

18 hours ago, neddy said:

me and arthur.jpg

Hi Neddy keep the stories and the photos coming if you have any, i forgotten era, and forgotten men & woman that shaped the way we see Sheffield today