The Crown, Carlisle Road

Tina

The Crown Pub, Carlisle Road, Demolished 3rd January 1974 by A.D.H Demolition Limited

Does Anyone have any photos or memories of this pub

• Like 1

Tina - if you get any photos please let me know as my husband lived next door to it. I have been trying for years to find a photo of it. 

7 minutes ago, Lyn 1 said:

Tina - if you get any photos please let me know as my husband lived next door to it. I have been trying for years to find a photo of it. 

I'm looking through tons of documents my late mum kept the date of the demolition is accurate as i hold the tender from the sheffield council and many other, pubs, factories and houses. she also kept quiet a history of photographs will update

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, theimposter1979 said:

Tina I’d be interested to hear any info you have on pubs...sheffieldpubs@outlook.com 

i know people have tried to locate the Howard Hotel that was on walkley it was near birkendale view,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

Hi these were the houses that was also listed for demolition on that slum clearance day

3rd January 1974

Houses 9 to 41 Carlisle Road, Sheffield

Houses 555 to 559 Carlisle Street East, Sheffield

Houses 1 to 23 Shelly Street, Sheffield

The Crown Public House (pub), Carlisle Street, Sheffield

I've attached the original demolition order was your husbands house listed between these no's 

carlisle street demolition order.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tina said:

Hi these were the houses that was also listed for demolition on that slum clearance day

3rd January 1974

Houses 9 to 41 Carlisle Road, Sheffield

Houses 555 to 559 Carlisle Street East, Sheffield

Houses 1 to 23 Shelly Street, Sheffield

The Crown Public House (pub), Carlisle Street, Sheffield

I've attached the original demolition order was your husbands house listed between these no's 

carlisle street demolition order.jpg

Thank you i hold quiet a lot of history this way, but only just learning technologies

• Like 1

Just keep those memories and documents coming. If the image comes out a bit wrong don't worry, we can usually put things right.

One question for now. Am I right in assuming that the Crown pub we are discussing was actually on Carlisle Road (no 41) rather than Carlisle Street. If so I will change the topic title.

• Like 1

Yes I was talking about Carlisle Rd. Was coming back online to say it was not Carlisle St my husband lived on. Because of the pub the  area was known locally as Crown Hill. My husband lived at 37 right next door to the pub. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

Just keep those memories and documents coming. If the image comes out a bit wrong don't worry, we can usually put things right.

One question for now. Am I right in assuming that the Crown pub we are discussing was actually on Carlisle Road (no 41) rather than Carlisle Street. If so I will change the topic title.

Yes the document is factual

• Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation, Lyn and Tina.

This is not an area of Sheffield I was ever familiar with so I thought I should confirm before amending the title.

It also seems to have avoided the camera very successfully, unfortunately :(

• Like 1

Tina-

Crown 1860-1970s

Carlise Rd 41

Hope & Anchor Brewery

Landlords include -1951 Alfred Luckman BO 1960s Ken & June 1960s  Mr & Mrs Massey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tina said:

i know people have tried to locate the Howard Hotel that was on walkley it was near birkendale view,

I know a bit about this place. I believe the external wall/ entrance to the pub is still standing...

• Like 1

On 02/02/2018 at 19:14, theimposter1979 said:

Tina-

My Mum and Dad were the Ken & June mentioned, Davis, we lived here about 1964-66-ish (both parents deceased now sadly) we then moved to take on The Lod Nelson 184 Greystock Street until Oct 1969.

Crown 1860-1970s

Carlise Rd 41

Hope & Anchor Brewery

Landlords include -1951 Alfred Luckman BO 1960s Ken & June 1960s  Mr & Mrs Massey

20 hours ago, wednesday1991 said:

Hi Wednesday1991 were your mum and dads surname Davis? I have Kenneth Davis at the Lord Nelson from 1966. Did they move anywhere else after? Also if you have any other info or any pictures of their time running the Crown & Lord Nelson id love to see them. Pm me or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com . I assume they moved from the Crown when it shut down? 

On 26/02/2018 at 15:42, boginspro said:

Walkley History have a bit about the Howard Hotel here         --------------       https://walkleyhistory.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/howard-hotel/

howard_hotel_map.jpg

That right the little piece of grass land that you wouldn't think you could put a building on is right opposite the huge stone wall if its standing still on common side if you look at the map you can see howard hotel and the little lane behind it has gates at the top that used to have a key for the residents of Birkendale view and birkendale. in front is the St Josephs home which ADH Demolition Ltd demolished and i put photos of the font that used to be on this site in an article on here under Demolition of sheffield.. we still have this stone font as a feature at home today

• Like 1

On 27/02/2018 at 10:23, theimposter1979 said:

Hi Wednesday1991 were your mum and dads surname Davis? I have Kenneth Davis at the Lord Nelson from 1966. Did they move anywhere else after? Also if you have any other info or any pictures of their time running the Crown & Lord Nelson id love to see them. Pm me or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com . I assume they moved from the Crown when it shut down? 

Yes that’s correct, Ken & June Davis, but I believe the pub was operational when we left. Yes my parents took the Lord Nelson until about late 1969 then we took the Red Lion on Whittington moor in chesterfield until July 1971. They left the trade for a few years until taking the stewardship of the contact club in dronfield in late 1976.  My brother still runs this club as steward.