Sheffield Abattoir, Cricket Inn Road

Tina

Don't know anyone who worked there but I do remember waiting at the traffic lights at junction of Cricket Inn Road / Bernard Road (from town) to see a cow (bull?) running towards us from the abattoir closely followed by a number of men. The cow (bull?) changed direction into the little car park at the junction, near the working mans club (I think it was). and it was quickly surrounded by the chasing men. At that point the lights changed and I left them to it. This must have been the early 1970's.

I can remember a trip there every Christmas to collect our turkey.

My dad was a lifting tackle inspector for an insurance company and used to go every few months to do the required checks

3 hours ago, Tina said:

Can anyone remember or worked at the Sheffield Abattoir situated on Cricket Inn Road?

I worked there for a short time in 1972 in the meat market as a porter. A real eye opener for a fifteen year old. Handling lights and plucks and freshly slaughtered sides of pork.

7 minutes ago, Martin Ede said:

I worked there for a short time in 1972 in the meat market as a porter. A real eye opener for a fifteen year old. Handling lights and plucks and freshly slaughtered sides of pork.

Did you work there at any time when they started to pull the abattoir down , i remember that part of it was still working, i remember going down in the bottom where the switches were and i remember the hide & skin company still working next door.

I worked at Ken Asher's stall in the meat market of the Sheffield Abattoir in the Christmas holidays 1973/74, while I was a student at Totley College. I can't remember the names of any of the other people who worked there, but they were great fun. The thing which always sticks in my mind are the slaughter men who used to come into the canteen for breakfast/lunch, their white uniforms were covered from head to foot in blood! The cold store was in the basement and when we had to go and collect frozen poultry on the cart it was necessary wrap up for 'Artic conditions'.

Wazzie Worrall   

Worked at the hide & skin company for a few months in the seventies when jobs  when few and far  between,terrible mucky place lost my sense of smell,

was it owned by F.M.C ( Farmers  Meat Company) i think the price of hides and skins fell,also people where buying meat from supermarkets and they had there own slaughter houses,and small butchers where closing down in there droves. 

On 02/02/2018 at 18:19, Tina said:

Did you work there at any time when they started to pull the abattoir down , i remember that part of it was still working, i remember going down in the bottom where the switches were and i remember the hide & skin company still working next door.

No, only there a short while but I’m certain the meat market still operated until the late seventies.

I remember going there in the late 1960's for the firm of Accountants I worked for to do the audit of some of the firms books that operated there. There are 3 things that I still remember. One was that I was walking down a narrow corridor and hearing a rattle in front of me. The next thing was about 6 sides of meat come flying round a corner on an overhead rail. You had to be quick and lean against the wall, otherwise you got flattened,

I remember that one day I parked my car near some buildings. At dinner time I went to my car to eat my sandwiches. Unfortunately, I had parked near a vent, and the smell from that had got into my car. It was so bad, that there was no way I could eat my food. It took days to clear the smell from my car.

I remember a man walking past me with 2 buckets full of raw tripe. It was pure black. Up to then I had often enjoyed having a plate of tripe at the stall in the Castle market. You used to buy a small plate with the "white"  tripe on and then add your own salt, pepper and vinegar. Anybody else remember that stall. Also my mum used to cook tripe and onions in a milky source. We used to have this on a bed of bread and butter. I do not think I had any further tripe after seeing the raw black stuff.

There was a firm with a name I believe of Sheffield Hides, Skins and bones. I believe they had a premises in the abattoir  They also collected these items from most of the butchers in the Sheffield area for recycling. Not sure what happens today.

• Like 1

HA HA what a memory brought back yes i remember tripe in the castle market mum used to take me and make me eat it and said it was good for me YEWK!! she changed her mind when she went with my dad to cost the tender for pulling the abattoir down i remember quiet vividly it was still working in parts and a man was kicking the black bag around on the floor with a hose pipe in his hand. mum asked what it was he was kicking around and he "said don't you know what it is?' she said no with a furrow on her brow, he replied its tripe.. mum nearly threw up when she realised that tripe was the bag that held the 'poo poo' in ..  best for me we never had the stuff again after that

My dad had a small  shop and used to sell meat, he used to take me there to buy meat and then drop me off at school. Remember we used to get our Christmas turkey from there and had to pluck the thing. Feathers all over.

I used to service and maintain their refrigeration equipment around 1977/1978, the smell from Sheffield Hides, Skins and bones was awful 

I trained as an Environmental Heath Officer there 1972 to 1974 and well remember the lairages, slaughter halls,  wholesale meat market and  by products plant

During the long school holidays back in the 50's, I worked for a Sheffield University department. Anyway I went every week to collect horse blood and sometimes the heart of a cow to make a serum to grow bacteria. Hated it but it was a job and I did it.

Went to Granville College with a lad who said his family worked at the abattoir. He regaled us with stories about what went on. He said his father cleaned the brown stuff (S**t) out of "Chitlings and bag". He said that after pigs were stunned they were hoisted up by the back legs and their throats cut, and as the blood ran out they urinated. This mixture went off to create black pudding!. Puts you off a bit doesn't it!