The Toff of Sheffield

LBow

My mum, born 1920, used to talk about an eccentric gentleman, whom they called the Toff of Sheffield, who used to walk up the centre of Ecclesall Road, directing traffic.  Does anyone recognise this description?  I'd just like to know a bit more about him and when he was doing it.

2 hours ago, LBow said:

My mum, born 1920, used to talk about an eccentric gentleman, whom they called the Toff of Sheffield, who used to walk up the centre of Ecclesall Road, directing traffic.  Does anyone recognise this description?  I'd just like to know a bit more about him and when he was doing it.

Wasn't that the "Duke of Darnall"

2 hours ago, tozzin said:

Wasn't that the "Duke of Darnall"

My Grandparents often mentioned The Duke of Darnell dressed in evening wear.

I immediately thought of Harry Taylor, the Duke of Darnall, but didn't realise that Ecclesall Road was in his territory which was often the bottom of Staniforth Road or High Street / Fitzalan Square,  I thought his relationship with Russian Edna had been covered on here before but could not find it. Here is the Duke on Picture Sheffield    --------     http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s08787&pos=1&action=zoom&id=11910     

duke.jpg

The words in the original post " walk up the centre of Ecclesall Road directing traffic " this is more or less word for word what every post I've ever read but the road was either High Street or Commercial Street, with all due respect to LBow I think his or her Mum was using a bit of poetic licence bringing the Duke of Darnallnearer to her home.