Hillsborough Swimming Baths

Sheffield History

Hillsborough Swimming Baths Sheffield.jpg

Hillsborough Baths Sheffield.jpg

Here's an interesting before and after for anyone who remembers Hillsborough Swimming Baths on Hillsborough Corner in Sheffield.

The photos show how Hillsborough baths used to be when in use with a main pool in the centre and the changing cubicles/areas around the edges.

Things have changed a lot now as you'd imagine and in the video here you can see what it's like inside these days as it's changed to the popular Rawson Spring pub in Hillsborough.

Anyone remember Hillsborough Swimming Baths as it was?

• Like 1

In the 1950's Years 1 and 2 of Firth Park Grammar School went there ,fortnightly, for a swimming session. Mr Sylvester who coached us was a frightening presence ....especially to those who didn't like water too much and couldn't swim...but he had them ducking their heads under water all the same. The pool was never warm!.

For some it was a pleasure going there , yet for others, less so. Happy memories!

Yes I remember going to Hillsborough Baths in the early 60's we went from Malin Bridge school and I also went with friends. I seem to remember swimming in a gala there once. It's certainly the place I learned to swim. 

I spent a lot of time in the water there. Several times a week and at the end of the session asked if I could clean the rim and if so could happily stay for another session. A session was I think an hour or maybe 90 minutes. The changing cubicles for men were at one side and the ladies at the other. All of them had canvas curtains. It was a busy place as sometimes all the cubicles were full and you had to double up with someone else clothes already on the hangers. There was a slipper bath at one end which was hot water although I rarely used it. At the opposite end were the showers in a separate room. Our school, Chaucer took us there regularly, probably one every two weeks ( memory not was it once was). Our teacher was a Mr Price who I believe played water polo for the Sheffield Dolphins. Happy days eh.