Sheffield Records Office

familyhistorybuff

Well, the link took me straight to their web site, on which people have posted today. I get the impression that it is a web site only, not a physical "office" as your heading suggests.

They are still there at the end of Shoreham Street closest to the Station, however they are now only open Monday, Tuesday and Saturday. Local studies in the Central Library are open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

I suspect that due to cuts they are sharing staff between the two of them.

9 minutes ago, Old rider said:

They are still there at the end of Shoreham Street closest to the Station, however they are now only open Monday, Tuesday and Saturday. Local studies in the Central Library are open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

I suspect that due to cuts they are sharing staff between the two of them.

This is the website address for the Sheffield Archives (physically at Shoreham Street): http://www.calmview.eu/SheffieldArchives/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=CA206%2f2004%2f1548-FUL&pos=20

I don't believe they are anything to do with Sheffield Records Online.  You do have to sign up to be able to view the Sheffield Records Online data - the best feature in my opinion is the searchable database of Leader's transcription of Apprentices records.

I agree with Edmund that it is nothing to do with the Sheffield Records Office.

From looking around it is run by the people who are connected with the Sheffield Indexers site. Much of the records seemed to be available on the Sheffield Indexers site, though I suppose like this site you have to join to take part in the forum or see more detailed information.

I looked at it once before and thought about joining, but there seem to be a lot of going backwards and forwards, before you even get to see anything of importance, so I gave up. Maybe it's simpler now:huh: or maybe they like it kept to those in the know:ph34r:

The Sheffield indexers site was set up b y a group of volunteers.. Most of the data on it has been transcribed by volunteers ( I did it for about 4 years) from information obtained from a variety of sources inc Sheffield Council for  burial & school records etc. The webmaster is Elaine who now lives in Ottowa, Canada

If you are interested in Family History do have a look at it. It contains a wealth of information.

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/