Help needed - can you identify these streets at Meadowhall?

Sheffield History

26849947_1035375329950545_7232354033459367263_o.jpg

26840844_1035375349950543_6955713385104551625_o.jpg

26758076_1035375299950548_5550435165221876719_o.jpg

I wonder if our amazing Sheffield History people can help identify these unknown (so far!) streets situated around the Hadfields plant on the site of what is now Meadowhall?

Fantastic photos from Michael Hardy

• Like 1

Were these photos of Tinsley rather than Meadowhall? I ask because Hadfield's was in Tinsley, whereas" Meadowhall" became a popular name after the opening of the Meadowhall shopping centre....mainly built on the Tinsley site of the former steelworks.

I took these photos in the 1970s and looking at the others in my collection it looks like I had walked from the Canal basin along the towpath to Tinsley as I have other pictures of the canal, working barges, factories etc. So it is possible that these photos were strictly speaking of Tinsley. I wish with hindsight that I had made notes of what I had photographed but as a teenager at the time this was more an exploration than a record of social and industrial history. I do seem to remember that I "discovered" Dead Man's Hole Lane" as part of this trip.

3 hours ago, dronnyman said:

I took these photos in the 1970s and looking at the others in my collection it looks like I had walked from the Canal basin along the towpath to Tinsley as I have other pictures of the canal, working barges, factories etc. So it is possible that these photos were strictly speaking of Tinsley. I wish with hindsight that I had made notes of what I had photographed but as a teenager at the time this was more an exploration than a record of social and industrial history. I do seem to remember that I "discovered" Dead Man's Hole Lane" as part of this trip.

Your work is fantastic. How old were you when you shot them?

That Dunford Hadfields sign faced the motorway between about 1967 and 1977. The photo' below is labelled on Picture Sheffield as lock 9 but I think it may be lock 10 so you must have been between locks 9 and 10, on the Sheffield side of the motorway. The pylon in the Picture Sheffield picture is still there.

EDIT - As you appeared to be about level with the roof I think you must have been on the road, possibly on the canal bridge.

Images Picture Sheffield    -------    http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u06087&pos=3&action=zoom&id=41070 

and  Canal and River Trust     ------------    https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr8Ck7NDk2AIVzLvtCh3zaw3MEAAYASAAEgIWjPD_BwE

lock_10.jpg

tinsley_roundabout.png

dunford_hadfield.jpg

,I worked from the late 1950's to early 70's alongside "Tinsley No.10 Lock...which was actually on unmade and unadopted Wharf Lane  and not "Road" as the map indicates. The  Dunford-Hadfields (formed in 1968) sign and works was very familiar...as was the concrete fence and the smaller workshops. During my lunch break I would often, on a nice day, walk up the canal tow path toward Broughton Lane...The furthest I remember walking was as far as the old railway lift bridge ...watching the rats and other struggling wild life on the then grossly polluted canal ...but for the life of me I cannot remember there being any houses, canalside,. around Tinsley...except those on Sheffield Road which backed onto the canal down a steep bankside.

I know memory at my age is not what it was but all I recall was works, railways and derelict waste land. . Could the houses and roads have been in Carbrook near Vulcan Road or near Sheffield Hollow Drill on Lock House Road?

I agree with you  lysander , regarding the houses.

I see dronnyman  that you went as far as Deadman's Hole Lane but I can't remember any streets like the other pictures on the Rotherham side of the motorway. I wonder if you can remember, did you walk back down the Common because (though I could be miles off) the houses remind me of the area between Weedon Street and Carbrook Street. The road with the wall at the end is very distinctive,  there were many decorative lintels like that in the Attercliffe area but those are slightly more decorated than most of the ones I remember.

Deads man hole as you call it was some where in carbrook and the works in the back ground  is British Steel as it became to been known,they started to knock down the houses in the late sixties but then i could be wrong as you get older the mind plays tricks.

15 hours ago, butterill said:

Deads man hole as you call it was some where in carbrook and the works in the back ground  is British Steel as it became to been known,they started to knock down the houses in the late sixties but then i could be wrong as you get older the mind plays tricks.

Deadman's Hole Lane is still there at the Rotherham end of Tinsley, or were there two of them?  I have changed the spelling to that on the map which I presume is correct ( now days at least) as there is/was also a Deadman's Lock.    

EDIT - Sydney Oldall Addy M.A., in his "A Glossary of Words Used in The Neighbourhood of Sheffield 1888" has it as follows.    ------  Dead Man's Lode, i.e., Dead Man's Lane, adjacent to the Roman camp at Templeborough.

------------       https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4182623,-1.3926484,3a,75y,334.31h,88.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJCRC8aZcZAW1Vhz73OcaHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=endead_mans_hole_lane.png

deadmans-hole-lane.png

On 1/18/2018 at 11:21, dronnyman said:

On 1/17/2018 at 18:02, Sheffield History said:

26849947_1035375329950545_7232354033459367263_o.jpg

26840844_1035375349950543_6955713385104551625_o.jpg

26758076_1035375299950548_5550435165221876719_o.jpg

I wonder if our amazing Sheffield History people can help identify these unknown (so far!) streets situated around the Hadfields plant on the site of what is now Meadowhall?

Fantastic photos from Michael Hardy

These pictures are not of the factory that was in place on the meadowhall site, the 2 x bronze statues that is now situated outside meadowhall near the NEXT entrance are of the real life working men that worked their my father used to talk to them. The company they worked in was called Edgar Allens the land was sold to entrepreneur (can't remember his name at present)    whom then sold it with planning permission for meadowhall but sheffield and rotherham argued for years wether it should be built. In actual fact meadowhall is a lot smaller than 1st proposed you need an old map of sheffield, tinselly will come under the rotherham council at that time as well as sheffield.

• Thanks 1

The statues are stated to be of a crucible steel melting team. Certainly by1963 no steel was melted ,at either Edgar Allen or Hadfields, by that that rather antiquated process....By that time the very small number of working crucible melting shops left in Sheffield melted small quantities of high speed, alloy or tool steels. The process was replaced by the much more efficient high frequency electric melting process ( not to be confused with the electric arc furnaces).  1n1963 Edgar Allens had 2 X 4 ton electric arc furnaces and 4 X high frequency furnaces with a capacity of between 1 and 10 cwts. The much, much larger Hadfields works had  2 x 45 ton open hearth furnaces and 1 X 55 ton open hearth furnaces as well as 8 electric arc furnaces with capacities of between 4 and 20 tons as well as 4 high frequency melting furnaces capable of melting between 1/4 to 2 tons.

As someone with a professional interest in  Sheffield steel history I should be pleased to learn  when, and if, either Edgar Allen or Hadfields ever had crucible melting facilities at their Tinsley works and when they ceased melting . I have a feeling Hadfields Hecla Works ( near Newhall Road) may well have.

Incidentally, Tinsley was a part of Tinsley Urban District Council and didn't become a part ,of the City of Sheffield until 1912. I doubt  anyone had the faintest concept of a Shopping Mall the size of Meadowhall until the end of steel melting at East Hecla works...In 1912 and before Sheffield's takeover of Tinsley, Hadfield's was a huge complex heavily engaged in the manufacture of armaments and from 1914 to 1918 manufactured vast quantities of shells and was said to be Sheffield's biggest employer..,In WW 2 they also produced armaments.  

Edgar Allen Foundary which was sited on the Meadowhall site ADH LTD cleared all the foundry fenal foundry sound this was the late 1980's as ADH (Demolition) Ltd ceased trading (retired) they worked that a couple of years as the decline in demolition had run its course and contractors were left with the odd factory or excavation jobs.

ADH Ltd purchased from Edgar Allen Foundry their fenal tip at Ravensfield and later sold it to A. Whites (Demolition) ltd., Abbey field Road

The large coloured man is the man that worked in the smelting shop in Edgar Allens Foundry with 3 others because they were identical to the men. my dad remembers someone coming and taking photos of those men whilst they were working on site.

So someone has documented the history wrong , maybe one day the men or their family will see this and hopefully come forward with a family picture

I am not suggesting they weren't the men your Dad knew...all I am saying is that the sculptor probably used them as models but they wouldn't have been melting with crucibles . Edgar Allen's finally closed in 1989 and the foundry work was moved to another company in the group.