Pheasant Inn, Trafalgar Road, Birley Carr/Wadsley Bridge

highstorrsman

My great grandfather John Fearn took over the license from Frank Ridge in 1915. He died there in 1921 and I believe his widow Florence carried on until 1923.

My late father told me that John was born in that property in 1864, to George Fearn, filestriker. However, in census returns the family is shown simply as "Wadsley Bridge".

I assume that, if John had been born there, then George would have been the licensee. Can anyone who knows please confirm or deny?

Andrew

I suspect I might have found an answer. I cannot find George and family in 1861, but in 1871 they were living not very far from the Travellers Rest (now no more). Also, in 1871 the landlord of the Pheasant was Benjamin Keeton. I suspect strongly that my father's tale of John being born in the Pheasant is just that! In 1864, George Fearn was a tenant in a group of houses in Gillott Hill which were sold by auction. They were sold again in 1878 and appear to have been on or near Fox Hill Road (and close to Machen, Miller and Machen's Wadsley Bridge steel works), so could have included the Pheasant on Trafalgar Road. I might find out one day....

Andrew

On 10/05/2018 at 12:42, highstorrsman said:

In 1864, George Fearn was a tenant in a group of houses in Gillott Hill which were sold by auction. They were sold again in 1878 and appear to have been on or near Fox Hill Road (and close to Machen, Miller and Machen's Wadsley Bridge steel works), so could have included the Pheasant on Trafalgar Road. I might find out one day....

Photo' Gillott Hill, don't know what year mind.

gillot_hill.jpg

Thanks Boginspro and Sheffield History for the info. My grandfather Charlie Machin lived on Fox Hill Road in 1911 in the row of cottages just shown on the right of the last image, opposite the Machen, Miller and Machen factory where he worked.  I still suspect the "born in Pheasant Inn" that I originally posted was wrong, but the family clearly did not move far. Charlie was born in Lapwater cottages, so the big city was a draw for him!

Andrew