Extinct Sheffield Food Brands

lysander

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:10, neddy said:

Tizer with a crust on top.

There used to be some company on Penistone Road that did pop, I think it was Barrs and I'm sure they did Tizer and Jusoda.

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's still 7.5% alcohol, which is very strong compared with most beers. The original Tennants' brew was about 10.6%, a strength which I think Whitbread continued when they took it over. The style was, after all, first brewed to be drunk as a wine rather than as a beer.

It must be the old memory making me think it was stronger. I had 14% from somewhere but that seems way too high. Did they try to brew it elsewhere but could not get the 'water' right so had to bring the brewing back to Sheffield until they sorted out what exactly was unique to the Sheffield water used? Wasn't there a spring in Exchange Brewery that they used for the water  ... or was it straight out of the Don?

22 minutes ago, ukelele lady said:

There used to be some company on Penistone Road that did pop, I think it was Barrs and I'm sure they did Tizer and Jusoda.

That's the one, used to be near where the big yellow storage is now, there used to be a small hatch just off Penistone, if you knocked on it and spoke nicely to one of the ladies you could scrounge a drink of pop, very handy after a walk from Rivelin.

1 hour ago, neddy said:

That's the one, used to be near where the big yellow storage is now, there used to be a small hatch just off Penistone, if you knocked on it and spoke nicely to one of the ladies you could scrounge a drink of pop, very handy after a walk from Rivelin.

Ha, you tell me that now, I didn't know about that at the time. :(

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:12, Unitedite Returns said:

You do know of course, that the brewing industry does not use water. Instead, they use 'liquor' apparently, which looks and tastes exactly the same, and which, apparently can be sourced from the same suppliers. ;-)

You do know of course that the widespread use of the term 'liquor' in the brewery industry is perfectly true?

I first became aware of this during my first ever visit inside of Whity's brewery on Exchange Street, when I enquired about their colour coding protocols for all of the service pipework running around the brewery, and I was told that this particular colour-code was for 'liquor'. They didn't have any colour-code at all for water.