Greystones Road Now & Then

tozzin

17th century cottages swept away sometime in the past, the old photo looks like the late 1890s,  the brickworks chimney of John Gregory and son at the bottom of the road on Ecclesall Road, the shop on the corner of Blair Athol road is still there but now it's a Chip Shop.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That pavement and handrail below the road was still there in the early 1960's. I think the cottages were the same although they looked in better repair as far as I can remember.

3 hours ago, Old rider said:

replThat pavement and handrail below the road was still there in the early 1960's. I think the cottages were the same although they looked in better repair as far as I can remember.

I agree with old rider those railings (or maybe replacement ones) were definitely there in the early 60's above the sunken pavement and I seem to remember a Fina petrol station on Ecclesall  opposite the end of Greystones road ,but the mind maybe playing tricks on that one it may have been further up Ecclesall Road

Yes there was a petrol station there before the supermarket was built and the building fronting Ecclesall Road. If I remember correctly nearly all that site was Finnegan's not only the building in the corner they have now.