South Street, Park Hill, Sheffield

Sheffield History

South Street Sheffield.jpg

Mrs. Dorothy Dixon Crookes in front of her General Store at 75 South Street, Park @ 1915-1920?

Demolished in Sheffield Blitz or later prior to construction of Parkhill Flats. 

South Street still exists as a remnant of Road at the side of the Flats behind the Midland Station

• Like 1

She obviously kept a tidy shop - note the shoe scraper to the left of the door!

The sign "Best value for cash" is intriguing; what may we infer from it? Perhaps that poorer local customers liked to buy things on "tick", and if they paid cash on the nail they would get a lower price, thus encouraging them to settle up straight away?

The photo in the right-hand window is indistinct but may show someone in uniform - a family member away in the Great War?

I think this would have been on the corner of Gilbert Street diagonally across the cross roads from the Sun Inn. I believe the people were moved out of that central area in to the new estates before the war, though the pub survived into at least the 60's.

Also in the 60's there were still occupied houses at the top and bottom of South Street, and from memory of before the flats were built, which may be wrong, I think there were some industrial or storage units in the middle bit.

gilbert street.png

20 hours ago, Athy said:

She obviously kept a tidy shop - note the shoe scraper to the left of the door!

The sign "Best value for cash" is intriguing; what may we infer from it? Perhaps that poorer local customers liked to buy things on "tick", and if they paid cash on the nail they would get a lower price, thus encouraging them to settle up straight away?

The photo in the right-hand window is indistinct but may show someone in uniform - a family member away in the Great War?

My paternal grand-mother, once upon a time had a similarly black framed photograph, of roughly the same size, hanging in the front living room, in remembrance of a brother who had been killed-in-action in the First World War, and so, I suspect, as you have rightly concluded, that what is portrayed here is a similar memorial.

This is awesome (I'm a newbie here). It's my understanding that relatives came from Park Hill area prior to 1905 (and may have lived on Gilbert Street at some point).