S. Harrison & Sons (Transport) Ltd - Steam Engines

Unitedite Returns

A few weeks ago, I promised to find and post some photographs taken by me, of Sid Harrison's Scammell lorry fleet.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find them. Not filed under the letter 'H', as one might expect, or not expect, as the case may be.

What I have found however, (filed under 'H'), are the following photographs of three industrial steam locomotives, that were purchased and kept in store at that company's depot, on Sheffield Road, Tinsley, for many years.

A little background, on what I believe to be the known history of these three locomotives is also given.

Photograph No. One

Built by Andrew Barclays and Sons Limited, Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, to works number 2360, in 1954, and delivered to Central Electricity Generating Board, Power Station, Ferrybridge, near Knottingley, (allocated No.3), until superseded by diesel traction, and withdrawn from service, circa 1970.

Purchased by S. Harrison & Sons (Transport) Ltd, Sheffield Road, Tinsley, where it remained in storage, until acquired by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association, Duffield, on long-term loan, and where it arrived, 22/10/2005. It is now believed to have been restored to working order and is now named, No.3, Brian Harrison.

Photograph No. Two

Built by Andrew Barclays and Sons Limited, Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, to works number 2217, in 1947, and delivered to Yorkshire Tar Distillers Limited, Kilnhurst Tar Works, near Swinton, Rotherham, until withdrawn from service, circa 1970.

Purchased by S. Harrison & Sons (Transport) Ltd, Sheffield Road, Tinsley, where it remained in storage, until acquired by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association, Duffield, on long-term loan, and where it arrived, 22/10/2005. It is now believed to be in the process of being restored to working order and is now named, Henry Ellison.

Photograph No. Three

Built by Hudswell, Clarke and Company Limited, Hunslet, Leeds, to works number 1884/55, in 1944, and delivered to the Newmarket Colliery, near Stanley, Wakefield, (allocated No.S102, 'Cathryn'). Subsequently allocated, in 1969, to St. John's Colliery, Wakefield, and Park Hill Colliery, Wakefield, periodically alternating between the two, until withdrawn from service in March 1977.

Purchased by S. Harrison & Sons (Transport) Ltd, Sheffield Road, Tinsley, where it first remained in storage, until transferred to the South Yorks Preservation Society, firstly at Penistone and subsequently, at Meadowhall. Later still, the locomotive was transferred to the Elsecar Steam Railway, at Barnsley. Acquired by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association, Duffield, on long-term loan, where it arrived, 07/03/2007, and where it is now believed to be in the process of being restored to working order.

CAI419-AB2360-1954-(No.3) at S. Harrison & Sons (Transport) Ltd, Tinsley-21-04-1978 - Web Copy.jpg

CAI421-AB2217-1947-('Henry Ellison') at S. Harrison & Sons (Transport) Ltd, Tinsley-21-04-1978 - Web Copy.jpg

CAI422-HC1884.55-1944-(N.C.B. No.S102-Cathryn) at S. Harrison & Sons (Transport) Ltd, Tinsley-21-04-1978 - Web Copy.jpg

• Like 1

And some bits of Scammell too!

I wonder why Harrison's bought the locomotives; in the hope of selling them on to another company?

15 hours ago, Athy said:

And some bits of Scammell too!

I wonder why Harrison's bought the locomotives; in the hope of selling them on to another company?

I think that they were always bought with the intention of being preserved, and I believe that they are still owned by the Harrison family, even though now on long term loan to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association, Duffield. Restoration to working order may have taken nigh on forty years, or so, but it is pleasing to note that they have got there in the end, and of-course, they are now stored at a location sufficiently close enough to be visited.

I've had a look at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, which I had not heard of before, on th einternet. It's a quite sizeable undertaking, and a very recent one )I take an interest in railways and visited Peak Rail some years ago but had never heard of the EVR). The emphasis seems to be, at the moment, on diesel multiple units, I guess that's until they have a greater number of suitable steam engines available. I looked through dozens of photos and very few showed steam at work.  Their web site does suggest that steam, including the two Barclay tanks, is used on high days and holidays.