Hendersons Relish

Sheffield History

4 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Question - is a 5 litre hendo's the biggest you could ever buy?

What is actually portrayed here is a one gallon container, or 4.546 litres.

Probably is sold in five litre containers these days, but I can't see metrification having effected the unique flavour and aroma of Hendo's though.

But either way, that's one hell of a lot of pies and peas, or cheese on toast. :P

AAS a Sheffielder born and bred I have often pondered why would you buy "River Don Watter "anyway? Never understood the local fascination/obsession with the stuff...and I have delivered case loads to ex Sheffielders "darn south!

Does anyone remember Littlewood's Non-brewed Condiment? It was the vinegar which my Mum always bought when we were in Sheffield, but after we moved away she couldn't find any and so she started buying Sarson's, a distinctly inferior product. I don't suppose that it is still made.

I recall my father bringing home one of those large containers of Hendersons back in the 70's/80's. Ive always wondered where ehe got it from. Are they still available?

7 hours ago, Martin Ede said:

Why would you need to buy more than a week’s supply anyway? lol

There were a lot of pie shops in Sheffield and like vinegar in a chip shop that stuff went down very quickly. I am making my own mouth water now, thinking of the lovely pies, covered in Henderson's, from the shop on Duke Street near Park Baths.

Moved away from Sheffield in '88. My parents still live there, and I have always kept at least 1 bottle of Hendersons in the cupboard wherever I have been !!

Converted my southern wife, and my daughter cant get enough of the stuff lol

Actually saw it on the TV the other night on one of those programs when a family live 'in the past'. Think it was the second episode of 'Back in time for tea'

• Like 1

I help run a lunch club for us twirlies and we occasionally buy large 5 Litre containers of Henderson's to fill up our containers...works out much cheaper and Hendo's seems to last forever. A friend liberally splashes it on her "corned dog" sandwiches.:unsure:

I've lived in  Norfolk now for over 20 years and whenever family come down this way they dare not show up without Hendersons  It's there password to enter over the doorstep.:P

Pie and Peas without relish just isn't right and I really like a few shakes on a bacon and egg sandwich .I remember people buying the large containers in bulk years ago when the rumour about them closing down was doing the rounds 

I use it on lots of things, like home made chips, bolognese and always on pie. We usually have 2 or 3 bottles on the go at any one time as the thought of running out fills me with dread.

We can get it here in the Northern Isles, there are three bottles in my cupboard and I had plenty today on "toad in the hole",  that's posh talk but I can't spell how I pronounce it, possibly something like "toad in't ole"