The Golden Ball in Sheffield

Sheffield History

The Golden Ball.jpg

Anyone know where this pub is/was?

Also note the sign for The Playhouse - does that give us a clue?

• Like 1

Is it the junction of Campo Lane, Leopold Street and Townhead Street? Or perhaps further along Campo Lane at junction with Hawley Street?

Yes, at the junction of Townhead Street and Campo Lane, a new building replaced it a bit further down Campo Lane at the bottom of Vicar Lane..

From the maps section ----------      

golden_ball.png

Just realised that it actually has the street sign 'Townhead St' on the top side of the building, below the Playhouse sign.

That also answers a query for myself, I had mentioned Leopold Street as being part of the junction as taken from 'google maps'. I was a bit doubtful at the time and now am more convinced I was wrong to include Leopold Street. Would I be right in thinking that Townhead Street continues up to meet Church Street? 

6 hours ago, Peter Walker said:

Would I be right in thinking that Townhead Street continues up to meet Church Street? 

Yes you can see on the photo' the B&C opticians to the right of the pub which was the number 8 Townhead Street. 2,4 and 6 were no longer there at this time so the next building up would be St. James Chambers on Church Street. After the war for a short time you would see the bomb damaged St. James Church through the gap.

31 minutes ago, lysander said:

Wasn't it demolished and replaced sometime in the 1970's?

Not sure exactly what date but I am sure the old one was there in the 60's, it was on our West Street pub crawl and it was a far better pub than the new one. If my memory serves me correctly the bar in the corner room was very high up.

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:59, boginspro said:

Yes you can see on the photo' the B&C opticians to the right of the pub which was the number 8 Townhead Street. 2,4 and 6 were no longer there at this time so the next building up would be St. James Chambers on Church Street. After the war for a short time you would see the bomb damaged St. James Church through the gap.

In

I used to go in the Golden Ball in the sixties, an old type pub that was demolished and a very poor replacement built on the corner of Vicar and Campo Lane.

On 09/01/2018 at 07:53, Sheffield History said:

The Golden Ball.jpg

Anyone know where this pub is/was?

Also note the sign for The Playhouse - does that give us a clue?

We definitely need a modern photo from the same angle as I can't get my head around this one

lol

5 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Ahhh thank you - now it all makes sense!

Got me thinking, and I used to walk past the old pub, on my way to catch the 16 Bradfield bus, to fish at Dam Flask.

Townhead Street looking towards Campo Lane and the Golden Ball public house, gable belongs to the Burns public house, St. James Church Spire in background. 1898.y00595.jpg.a47bf278f1b045ebede27c9196712fef.jpgy00595

Group including landlord Tommy Ward outside the Golden Ball public house, Townhead Street/Campo Lane. s09419.jpg.ebe634c658c5e8e8d21b0d6f493803f0.jpgs09419

Information with the photograph. "Tommy Ward 'Senior' is on the left." 

Interior of The Golden Ball. 1937.s07031.jpg.64b81e756575afc03491409b8106294c.jpgs07031

Information with the photograph. "Mr. T. W. Brookes, on the right, was the landlord and Mr Tom Ward the barman.The Golden Ball was popular with actors from the Playhouse." 

St. James' Churchyard and rear Golden Ball public house, No. 69 Campo Lane and No. 10 Townhead Street. u00720.jpg.59394e51cf7d8d787fa4b1c1ae8156c8.jpgu00720

Ordnance Survey Map 1890, sheet no. Yorkshire No. 294.8.16. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;q00082&pos=7&action=zoom&id=152826

• Like 1