The Goodwin Fountain

Sheffield History

Remember this well and arguably a well known and picturesque Sheffield feature that should never have been removed. I seem to recall that lights were built into the circular retaining wall that illuminated the water feature at night-time.

2 hours ago, Unitedite Returns said:

Remember this well and arguably a well known and picturesque Sheffield feature that should never have been removed. I seem to recall that lights were built into the circular retaining wall that illuminated the water feature at night-time.

I have a recollection the lights were different colours around the wall, just above the level of the water.

I remember that the (Sir) Stuart Goodwin fountain was criticised by some as an act of civic philanthropy by a boss who paid his staff peanuts. That said, it was an interesting feature of a City on the Move!

Just now, Peter Walker said:

I have a recollection the lights were different colours around the wall, just above the level of the water.

Yes, I think that you are correct, they were different colours. Either that, or the ability to change colour. I can't remember which exactly.

There were lights around the edge, red, blue and yellow definately and possibly green, but I'm not sure on that. Each box had a lamp behind a coloured filter, which I think was gelatine between 2 sheets of glass. There were also lights under the water in the centre, same colours. It was all controlled from a huge electro mechanical box in the gents toilets under the Town Hall, all chain and gear driven and fed by cables to the island. We used to check it out once a year just before the illuminations were switched on and replace filters/lamps as necessary.

Nigel L

I recall all the litter that accumulated in it and the students pouring washing up liquid in it. It was a nice feature but someone always has to spoil things.

On 1/8/2018 at 23:00, Sheffield History said:

30984BB2-885A-446A-BA74-F65D60BF3872.jpeg

An earlier view from street level ( Oct-Nov 1961) from an earlier thread but more appropriate in this one.

2015-10-20_5.JPG

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Voldy said:

An earlier view from street level ( Oct-Nov 1961) from an earlier thread but more appropriate in this one.

The most noticeable thing to me in the first picture is that the glass and concrete building that replaced the Cinema House looks out of place and spoils the view.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2018 at 09:01, lysander said:

I remember that the (Sir) Stuart Goodwin fountain was criticised by some as an act of civic philanthropy by a boss who paid his staff peanuts. That said, it was an interesting feature of a City on the Move!

So who was Sir Stuart Goodwin? How did he get the contract for the fountain?

10 hours ago, History dude said:

So who was Sir Stuart Goodwin? How did he get the contract for the fountain?

Sir Stuart Goodwin was head of the Neepsend Steel and Tool Corporation (and I assume Goodwin & Co before that) who gave lots of money to charities and good causes. It is named after him because of that philanthropy, rather than because he built it.

Sir Stuart also headed up Sheffield Refreshment Houses with interests in hotels and hospitality. It was rumoured he bought his favourite London hotel after finding they had no room for him after  having had an urgent meeting in London.

1 hour ago, lysander said:

It was rumoured he bought his favourite London hotel after finding they had no room for him after  having had an urgent meeting in London.

Now that's style.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:25, boginspro said:

The most noticeable thing to me in the first picture is that the glass and concrete building that replaced the Cinema House looks out of place and spoils the view.

The same view in 2009 looking up Barkers Pool towards Division Street

Barkers Pool.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/01/2018 at 13:24, lysander said:

Sir Stuart also headed up Sheffield Refreshment Houses with interests in hotels and hospitality. It was rumoured he bought his favourite London hotel after finding they had no room for him after  having had an urgent meeting in London.

His other passion was golf. At this same period there were suggestions that he had funded improvements to the facilities at Lindrick on the A57  to make it suitable for hosting the 1957 Ryder Cup. Certainly  his generous financial contribution to the competition costs is on record. At the time which came first was never clear. The Americans came and lost for the first time since 1933 so he was presumably happy. . 

7 hours ago, southside said:

7 hours ago, southside said:

The same view in 2009 looking up Barkers Pool towards Division Street

Barkers Pool.jpg

Thanks for that picture  southside   , I have never seen it like that. It looks very quiet even if it is Sunday, from the angle of the sun I think the photo' was taken close to mid-day.

One thing that dismays me when I see modern pictures of Sheffield is that most of my favourite pubs have gone, in this case the Albert.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:29, boginspro said:

Thanks for that picture  southside   , I have never seen it like that. It looks very quiet even if it is Sunday, from the angle of the sun I think the photo' was taken close to mid-day.

One thing that dismays me when I see modern pictures of Sheffield is that most of my favourite pubs have gone, in this case the Albert.

The Albert - good for its music events and a required stopping-off point, either before, or after a trip to the City Hall, to other Cambridge Street hostelries, to the West Street hostelries, and of course, to several other well remembered hostelries nearby. Oh, happy times, from what I remember of them - admittedly, at times, somewhat hazily. ;-)

On 1/15/2018 at 21:29, boginspro said:

Spot on boginspro, The photograph was taken one Sunday in August 2009 from the Big Wheel located on Fargate (hence the reflection) along with this shot of the Town Hall.

Town Hall.jpg

• Like 1

I remember as a child in the '70s being so proud of that fountain because my Dad had told me that it had been made (partially at least) at Bramahs, which he worked at as a fabricator for some years

Cant honestly remember if Dad had actually had anything to do with its construction, but in my head 'My Dad made that!', and I told anyone that would listen !

• Like 1