What's this history of this building and what was before it?

Sheffield History

I think that once-upon-a-time, that this was the former gas company, later British Gas offices on Commercial Street, and a particularly fine building.

Now some sort of 'eatery' I am told, but never-the-less, a building which should, in an idea world, be fully utilised.

I remember visiting the Gas Company offices with my mother before WW2;  though what was before it is more difficult to answer. There was a topic last year in which Edmund posted an extract of the OS plan of this location in 1890, see https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16243-help-save-a-rare-piece-of-sheffields-history-for-just-£1/?tab=comments#comment-137738 

Post was on May 27th 2017, " Sheffield United Gas Light Company's Offices" in 1890's.

Added later: 

image.png.89cf117adb029bee7af32604b3366d72.png

1 hour ago, History dude said:

Last time I looked it still said on the front somewhere that it was the Gas Company.

It's been a long time since I saw this building but it also bore it's well known name of Canada House and also  the earlier name of Panache House carved in stone above a door, as mentioned before constructed for the Sheffield United Gas Light Company in 1874 . A spectacular building which should be preserved as original on all levels.

A very interesting map. Along the very bottom edge, it appears to show the location and function of the arches that carried Commercial Street over Shude Hill.

The United Gas Company's works were also much more extensive then, than what still exists to this day, and they seemed to have occupied most of the premises adjoining Shude Hill.

Since the Gas Board left it has been a night club and a Chinese buffet. The building has been empty for some years ( a pity as it was an excellent buffet)

It is up for sale I believe. Now if Chinese developer wanted to make a grade 5* hotel there is the perfect building. It is large enough not to need extending. Why anyone in the Council thought the Central Library was a good idea is beyond me. I believe the architect was copying an Italian Villa design. Can't understand why such a beautiful building struggles to be occupied.    

On 08/01/2018 at 12:11, Unitedite Returns said:

I think that once-upon-a-time, that this was the former gas company, later British Gas offices on Commercial Street, and a particularly fine building.

Now some sort of 'eatery' I am told, but never-the-less, a building which should, in an idea world, be fully utilised.

No it' not the gas house we pulled that down the gas house was on the opposite side. Of the road where the lesiure baths stands today. 

The gas house was a brick building with an ornate stone corner had a top like the town hall and a archway. We reclaimed the Archway and re built it in haven cottage at Ridgeway ( can be Found on Google its up for sale) should have been preserved. But sheffield council wanted everything down. It was in the mid 70s when A.D.H Ltd demolished it.

The building in question was certainly the East Midlands Gas Board offices when I was a kid... If it wasn't, someone took our family's gas money  and sold us a gas cooker under false pretences.^_^

4 hours ago, Tina said:

No it' not the gas house we pulled that down the gas house was on the opposite side. Of the road where the lesiure baths stands today. 

The gas house was a brick building with an ornate stone corner had a top like the town hall and a archway. We reclaimed the Archway and re built it in haven cottage at Ridgeway ( can be Found on Google its up for sale) should have been preserved. But sheffield council wanted everything down. It was in the mid 70s when A.D.H Ltd demolished it.

That was definitely Canada House Gas Company Offices, there are plenty if pictures of it through the ages on Picture Sheffield. It sounds like the building you are referring to may have been the Electricity Supply Offices.   Picture of Electricity Supply Offices (YEB in later days) below    --------       (c) Picture Sheffield    ------------       http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u05985&pos=7&action=zoom&id=40969

electricity_department_offices.jpg

To us it was always  the Gas Offices where we went in the 1930s to pay the bill. Voldy may have thoughts on this but my recollection is that it kept to its purpose by only being lit by groups of gas lamps at the end of long down pipes from a high roof nicely placed over the big horseshoe counter.  And there was the usual faint smell. After 1939 our  next house had no gas so I have no idea how long that continued but even then it must have been one of the few still lit this way.

5 hours ago, Tina said:

Hi Tina, I think you may be getting your gas and electric a bit mixed up. This building has always been what we knew as the gas building where we used to go with our mothers to pay the bills. Later in life I remember going when it was a Chinese restaurant [ Gambit?] also I went to a wedding here when it had changed to a nightclub. I'm sure someone will recall the name of it.  To us oldies it's still the gas house.

Sheffield History  asked    

"What's the history of this building and what was before it?"

---------------------------

There is a brief history here     ---------    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_United_Gas_Light_Company_Offices     ------------     The style of a grand Italian villa as  duckweed  said .    The building was constructed for the Sheffield United Gas Light Company in 1874 by M.E. Hadfield & Son in the classical style of a grand Italian villa.      I am sure we can come up with what was there before it?

On 2/8/2018 at 11:17, ukelele lady said:

Hi Tina, I think you may be getting your gas and electric a bit mixed up. This building has always been what we knew as the gas building where we used to go with our mothers to pay the bills. Later in life I remember going when it was a Chinese restaurant [ Gambit?] also I went to a wedding here when it had changed to a nightclub. I'm sure someone will recall the name of it.  To us oldies it's still the gas house.

Hi ukelele lady,  there was a Chinese restaurant a little further up Commercial Street If my memory serves me well, it was located either under the Yorkshire Bank or just below, seem to remember going down some step's to get in!

From what my father told me years ago, the Gambit  Cafe used to have chessboards under the tables and people could have a game while there.

The company "The Gambit Cafe Sheffield Ltd" was wound up on October 31st 1953 and a Liquidator was appointed in Sidney Weston Esq F.C.A of 34 Bank Street.

On 07/02/2018 at 11:29, duckweed said:

It is up for sale I believe. Now if Chinese developer wanted to make a grade 5* hotel there is the perfect building. It is large enough not to need extending. Why anyone in the Council thought the Central Library was a good idea is beyond me. I believe the architect was copying an Italian Villa design. Can't understand why such a beautiful building struggles to be occupied.    

Absolutely

Right next to a tram stop too

23 hours ago, southside said:

Hi ukelele lady,  there was a Chinese restaurant a little further up Commercial Street If my memory serves me well, it was located either under the Yorkshire Bank or just below, seem to remember going down some step's to get in!

That's the one , it was in the late 1960s early 70s well before Chinese started doing buffet style.  I always enjoyed it there myself and friends still think it was called the Gambit. As I remember it didn't seem to last that long.

12 hours ago, Hopman said:

From what my father told me years ago, the Gambit  Cafe used to have chessboards under the tables and people could have a game while there.

The company "The Gambit Cafe Sheffield Ltd" was wound up on October 31st 1953 and a Liquidator was appointed in Sidney Weston Esq F.C.A of 34 Bank Street.

Wow that's far before my time, I'd have been playing with dolls not chess. Was this place in Commercial Street too?

16 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

The Chinese restaurant we used to go to in the late 1960s was much higher up Commercial Street and not in the Gas building and according to this link they were still paying their bills there in 1972.

I do remember going to the night club there though, I think it was  The Turn Ups.

Hi if you look on the demolition of sheffield i set up, the sheffield gas house were you paid your bills was situated next to the cold storage site that was at the bottom of commercial street wich sites the swimming baths today..

if you look on the site i set up for conversation i have posted a picture of the archway of that building that ADH limited demolished and restored into their home, it stands 18ft high in a fireplace and represents sheffield turning from candle light to gas with the king and queen   head either side of the archway

On 2/8/2018 at 10:44, Keith_exS10 said:

To us it was always  the Gas Offices where we went in the 1930s to pay the bill. Voldy may have thoughts on this but my recollection is that it kept to its purpose by only being lit by groups of gas lamps at the end of long down pipes from a high roof nicely placed over the big horseshoe counter.  And there was the usual faint smell. After 1939 our  next house had no gas so I have no idea how long that continued but even then it must have been one of the few still lit this way.

Look at the bridge on the right hand side it the archway we demolished that old building for the sheffield council, they wanted everything down the tip we salvaged the archway and re built it in our home at the time i attach these pics

20180202_144941_1.jpg

20180204_063446.jpg