Sheffield Re-planned - 1945

Unitedite Returns

A post-war vision of Sheffield, published by Sheffield City Council.

Most likely still copyrighted, so reproduced for research and discussion purposes only.

Interesting comparisons between what was proposed and what actually happened.

Not reproduced in full, but some of those parts shown have previously been the subject of much discussion on this site.

Sheffield Replanned-1945-One.JPG

Sheffield Replanned-1945-Two.JPG

Sheffield Replanned-1945-Three.JPG

Sheffield Replanned-1945-Four.JPG

Sheffield Replanned-1945-Five.JPG

Sheffield Replanned-1945-Six.JPG

• Like 3

Back in the 1970's Cambridge House (now Lloyds bar) on Division Street was the City Engineers department and I started working there in the lighting department. Upstairs was the architects and planning department and there were piles of this book, maybe about 50 or so, in the storeroom. When everyone moved out into the Town Hall extension, a lot of stuff was left to be burnt including these books. I took about half a dozen copies, kept one for myself and gave the others away over the years.

Nigel L

The late ex Councillor Geoff Chapman, sometime lecturer in planning at Hallam Polytechnic was writing a book entitled, "Sheffield the City that never was". This detailed many of the short lived plans for the City centre...including a new central station. Sadly, Geoff died some years ago and the manuscript with him.

The 1945 plan was stymied by lack of money and a lack of materials ina world where there were other short term priorities....but the rebuilt Moor did follow some principles laid out in earlier decisions...i.e. the height of buildings and their completion with Portland stone facings,

I knew Jeff very well. He retired to Aylsham and would stay with me on his trips to Sheffield for research on his book. As a result, we talked at length about his project...including the fact that he had a publisher lined up. Sometime after his death his widow asked me if I would finish the manuscript... but we could never find it. I suspect it was thrown away when his personal stuff was disposed of by someone not realising what it was.