An Unusual Train Working at Woodburn Junction

Unitedite Returns

An unusual train working that could be easily replicated on any model railway even today. Thompson designed, Class B1, No.61150, then a Darnall based engine, propels two Pullman Carriages up the Tinsley Junction to Sheffield Line, towards Woodburn (Woodbourn) Junction, which itself, is on the Darnall to Sheffield Victoria (G.C.R.) Line. Built by Vulcan Foundry Limited, to Order No.2333, and to Works No.5508, in 1947, this engine was first taken into service at Gorton  M.P.D., on 29/04/1947, but thereafter, was quickly reallocated to Darnall M.P.D. on 01/06/1947, where it was to remain, until withdrawn from service, on 16/09/1962. A scandalously short service life of just, 15 years, 4 months, and 18 days. It is believed to have finally been broken-up, in March 1963, at J. Cashmore Limited, Great Bridge.

To the right-hand-side of the railway cutting can be seen Broad Oaks, and in the background, and just discernable, Nunnery Colliery.

Edited: 06/01/2018 - not happy with the quality of the original image, so have substituted with a better quality reproduction.

CAI062-VF5508-1947-(Thompson Class B1, No.61150) near Woodburn Junction, Sheffield-20-05-1955-web copy.jpg

• Like 1

I imagine the B1 was moving the rolling stock  to or from the Pullman Master Cutler...as it once was.

Wonderful shot and ,as a young train spotter on Acres Hill basket bridge, I well remember "groaning" at the sight of 61150 and her sister 61151 when all I wanted was "Streaks" and "Winnies". In my innocence and naivity I thought they might come. They didn't!

5 minutes ago, lysander said:

I imagine the B1 was moving the rolling stock  to or from the Pullman Master Cutler...as it once was.

Wonderful shot and ,as a young train spotter on Acres Hill basket bridge, I well remember "groaning" at the sight of 61150 and her sister 61151 when all I wanted was "Streaks" and "Winnies". In my innocence and naivity I thought they might come. They didn't!

Much empathy with that statement.

Any of the Darnall based engines seemed pretty mundane and very 'run-of-the-mill' at the time.

But, my God, don't we miss them now.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:00, Athy said:

The length of the train reminds me of 00 gauge sets.

Which is exactly what attracts me so much about this image. You could easily and authentically reproduce this kind of train working to scale today. What I do find interesting however, is that these Pullman carriages had not been stored in the Nunnery Carriage Sidings, which would have been much closer to Sheffield Victoria Station, but were obviously being fetched from somewhere further afield. Possibly somewhere more secure, considering that compared with most standard passenger rolling stock, that they would have been kitted out with all manner of attractive and decorative goodies. I do have some Pullman Carriage table lamps, but I hasten to add that these were obtained legitimately.

Is the train being pushed? The driver is looking forwards and the steam appears to be  being blown as if it was?

Just now, lysander said:

Is the train being pushed? The driver is looking forwards and the steam appears to be  being blown as if it was?

Yes, the train is being pushed, and so, it is working 'right-road', (in the right direction), towards Woodburn Junction.

It is not being pulled, 'wrong-road', away from Woodburn Junction.

Which would suggest that its point of origin was not that far away, and possibly from the vicinity of either, Tinsley Junction, or Broughton Lane.