Where was this?

Sheffield History

Obviously, the world famous Rag n' Tag, or Sheaf Market as it was known to the posh people. I think, looking from Broad Street, and probably, looking at the dress-code, 1920's, or thereabouts. Never seen the illuminated sign though. Sadly missed.

I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw it! I guess he could be scratching his ear/ about to take a puff of his ***/ saluting.

17 hours ago, Athy said:

I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw it! I guess he could be scratching his ear/ about to take a puff of his ***/ saluting.

I suppose that in those days, that the average mobile phone would have been roughly the size of a double-decker bus. hehe

But what about all the buntings across the shop-fronts? A special occasion maybe? BT doing a special 4G deal perhaps? lol

I remember that entrance to the market at the bottom of Commercial Street really well. I have an image in my head of an old chap, clearly an old soldier damaged by the First World War, who used to lie on the pavement under the window of that tobacconists in the early '50s. I must have been four or five at the time but it clearly left an imprint on my mind.  Does anyone know more?

13 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Would this be the same place as the photo in the first post ? (stolen from Twitter account of Aidan Stones https://twitter.com/OldSheffield )

DN-IibqWAAArGVe.jpg

As memory serves the top photo had a good airing late last year under the heading SHEAF MARKET  Sheffield.