Attercliffe Pavilion Cinema, Attercliffe Common and Denture Repairs

Unitedite Returns

Attercliffe Pavilion Cinema, Attercliffe Common, 16/09/1972, and an opportunity to get your dentures repaired whilst watching the latest film release. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year Everyone.

SLS073-Attercliffe Pavilion Cinema, Attercliffe Common-16-09-1972.jpg

SLS075-Shop Window, adjoining Attercliffe Pavilion Cinema, Attercliffe Common-16-09-1972.jpg

• Like 1

After you'd had your dentures fixed in that decidedly grubby looking shop, you could nip next door, walk out on to the balcony and wave to the crowds as you flashed your brilliant smile.

What are the squiggles on the cinema's awning - decoration, or writing in an Asian language? If the latter, there must already have been a substantial Indo-Pak population in the area, 45 years ago, if they could support a commercial cinema. The film posters aren't legible, which is a pity as they would offer a clue.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

After you'd had your dentures fixed in that decidedly grubby looking shop, you could nip next door, walk out on to the balcony and wave to the crowds as you flashed your brilliant smile.

What are the squiggles on the cinema's awning - decoration, or writing in an Asian language? If the latter, there must already have been a substantial Indo-Pak population in the area, 45 years ago, if they could support a commercial cinema. The film posters aren't legible, which is a pity as they would offer a clue.

By the date that these photographs were taken, 16/09/1972, the Attercliffe Pavilion Cinema would appear to be catering for a predominantly Indian audience, as the attached close-up photograph of the advertising hoarding suggests. Perhaps I should have attached this image earlier.

S0 - you had dentures even back then?????? :P

SLS074-Attercliffe Pavilion Cinema, Attercliffe Common-16-09-1972-Web Copy.jpg

I lived down the cliff and was brought up there it was not until the seventies when they started to knock it down the area was taken  over by Asians,and it went down hill, you have only to look at Tinsly, burn grieve and the area a round the northern general  hospital,look at the houses  there size and build these where posh areas when i was young,but now its looks like a area in India.

I lived just round the corner on Berkeley Road until I was 4. We moved to Hackenthorpe in 1954 but I remember The Pav, The Adelphi and The Globe. The Amberely pub was around there as well. My Grandma moved from Berkeley Road just before the houses were demolished.