Mary Ann Rawson's grave

duckweed

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ziongraveyardattercliffe?utm_id=107&utm_term=GNBDrjwRP  

I think it is criminal that Mary Ann Rawson's grave could end up under a carpark. It is pretty bad that so much of the history of Attercliffe is crumbling and often unknown, but Mary Ann Rawson as a woman abolitionist is of international importance. 2018 is also the centenary of women getting the vote in the UK and Heritage Open Days are concentrating on the remarkable women in Sheffield. Would be great if we had ownership of the graveyard by then and could go on to promote this remarkable woman and of course the history of Attercliffe.  

• Like 1

This is an important historical site and should be remembered as such. In her day Mary Anne Rawson was a prominent abolitionist. As you see from the picture, her grave has a great fence across it.

The Zion graveyard is full of Attercliffe folk. Each name on a memorial has a story behind it.

Read Grave.JPG

The graveyard is  not open to the public at present. If the funds are raised to buy it then there will be more chances to see it. Better for it to be rescued than for it to become a car park. Remember Richard III in the Leicester car park. Unknown for how long?

1 hour ago, Hopman said:

This is an important historical site and should be remembered as such. In her day Mary Anne Rawson was a prominent abolitionist. As you see from the picture, her grave has a great fence across it.

The Zion graveyard is full of Attercliffe folk. Each name on a memorial has a story behind it.

Read Grave.JPG

Can't believe how some people can be so disrespectful by putting up a  fence across a grave. 

No surprise to hear that the graveyard might turn into a carpark. I hope it never happens. Enough history has been destroyed in Attercliffe already. 

Unfortunately it's becoming a trend to demolish old and historical buildings /places in and around Attercliffe. The Duke of York on Main Road and The White Hart on Worksop Road have now been pulled down to make way for car parking thanks to Sheffield city Council. 

• Like 1

I see that there have been donations already in 2018. The final section on the justgiving page linked to by the OP says:

We want to open the graveyard, which has been locked for twenty years, on regular days so that local people can visit and enjoy this green oasis. Whilst giving access to the graves we will work with Wildscapes and the Wildlife Trust to maintain it as a unique heritage site and wildlife garden in an industrial landscape.

Please help us save this important part of our history by joining our campaign, making a donation, and sharing this post. Further information is available on our website. www.ziongraveyard.btck.co.uk

graves.JPG

I went there on Heritage Open Day. A lot of still readable gravestones that spell out the some of the amazing history of Attercliffe. It has the potential of being used both as a heritage site but also keeping the haven it is for wildlife. I see it as a springboard to promoting both Attercliffe's unique history as well as giving  Mary Ann Rawson and the other women abolitionists a more prominent part in the history books.  

• Like 1