Sign in to follow this  
ukelele lady

What was this please?/ Police Boxes

What exactly did, or do, these boxes contain? A telephone? A supply of spare truncheons? A chemical bucket-and-chuckit loo? A gas ring and kettle? A chair?

40 minutes ago, Athy said:

What exactly did, or do, these boxes contain? A telephone? A supply of spare truncheons? A chemical bucket-and-chuckit loo? A gas ring and kettle? A chair?

The telephone could be accessed through a small door on the outside so that as well as giving officers contact with the police station, the public could also use it in emergency. There was also a first aid kit similarly accessible. On the inside I think they were quite basic, there was a desk and stool for officers to right up notes and reports, restrain a prisoner, or take a break. The light on the top was controlled from the police station so could be used as a signal to the beat officer. I believe he would report in from there every hour.

Back in the 40's a bicycle was kept in the box at the junction of Moonshine Lane with Raisen Hall Road at Southey Green.

35 minutes ago, Voldy said:

Back in the 40's a bicycle was kept in the box at the junction of Moonshine Lane with Raisen Hall Road at Southey Green.

That's a reminder, thanks, you often saw a bicycle propped up at the side of one.

On 12/4/2011 at 17:18, ukelele lady said:

Looks like Howard Road / Commonside maybe.

it was on common side i remember it very well