What was this please?/ Police Boxes

ukelele lady

I have read they are selling off police boxes from Sheffield and surrounding areas

I believe there are eight to be sold.

A phone number was given in the Sheffield Star and I was tempted to ring just

to find out what price they were going for.

But what would I use it for , put it at the bottom of the garden and use it as a

tool shed. Make it nice and cosy for the extra guest at Christmas.

A dog kennel, beer and wine outhouse.?

What would you use one for? Keeping the wife in not allowed hehe;-)

I have read they are selling off police boxes from Sheffield and surrounding areas

But what would I use it for , put it at the bottom of the garden and use it as a

What would you use one for? Keeping the wife in not allowed he he;-)

I think a really good use for them would be to:

Place them randomly around town

put a police telephone in them

Let the policemen use them on their rounds.

Or am I a bit late with that idea?

==========

Really though, I'd like one as a garden shed but unfortunately I think they're a bit big for my small back garden. Pity

http://www.thestar.co.uk/rotherham/Police-boxes-up-for-sale.6666102.jp

==========

What a great idea vox, why didn't the authorities think of that. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't think that these are the old style square wooden police boxes, but rather the more modern brick-built replacements.

I suppose that they will be sold with the land they stand on, rather like the sale of public loos that became small cafes annd the like.

I think that the only wooden box left might be the one outside the town hall.

Now if the original boxes were for sale I would be the first to put in a bid.

Site it down the garden, install a comfy armchair, flat screen T V on one wall, small beer fridge and CCTV scanning all approaches for incoming problems.

If I managed to buy the one from Rivelin Valley Road / Hollins lane, I wouldn't have to even bother about leaving it for comfort breaks.

BLISS !

HD

Well if it's like Dr. Who's police box, the tardis, and is bigger on the inside than on the outside then you could live in the police box as though it was mansion and turn your house into the garden shed lol

There was one on South Road, Walkley that really was so unlike any police box I ever saw. It was so ornate blue paint rather than green with a light on top, I believed to signify occupation. I think it stood by St Marys on the Crookes side of the road, though can't be sure as there's not much room in the area.

Here in Scarborough we still have an original blue Dr. Who style one on the seafront. It's a rather nice decordation, if not completely useless now it has no telephone in it!

Here in Scarborough we still have an original blue Dr. Who style one on the seafront. It's a rather nice decordation, if not completely useless now it has no telephone in it!

A few years ago they put one on the seafront at Blackpool down near the south pier where they used it to advertise the Dr Who exhibition on the pier.

The blue telephone box attracted so much interest that it was quickly taken away and replaced with a bigger plywood mock up of the real Dr Who police box / tardis.

Here is another Police Box. I shall leave it for others to locate it (I am fairly certain I know where it is).

Apologies for the not completely in focus image: it is actually in the background of a photo in my collection.

Here is another Police Box. I shall leave it for others to locate it (I am fairly certain I know where it is).

Apologies for the not completely in focus image: it is actually in the background of a photo in my collection.

Is this one in Sheffield madannie?

The weather looks very cold, wet and wintery and you do now live in the frozen north of England don't you? <_<

PM on it's way

Spot on, vox.

Is this one in Sheffield madannie?

The weather looks very cold, wet and wintery and you do now live in the frozen north of England don't you? <_<

It is in Sheffield: the full image has a Sheffield tramcar in it as well as a Police Box. (Madannie in photograph of Sheffield tram shocker :o).

From my 10 years in the top end of Cumberland I am sure that Sheffield gets more snow than Carlisle, although it certainly rains more here and it is probably colder.

Having said that, I have been out in snow today, in the foothills of the Pennines in Westmorland.

Guest Alanpban

==========

Really though, I'd like one as a garden shed but unfortunately I think they're a bit big for my small back garden. Pity

Hi, when I was a wee laddy, there used to be a police box here, just across from the chemist shop on halifax rd wadsley bridge ...Al

Looks like Howard Road / Commonside maybe.

• Like 1

This is another one outside the Town Hall Sheffield...Al

I am sure there is another topic on here which is specifically about this particular police box and which has pictures of its interior as well.

However I can't seem to find it and Stuart has just abolished link fairies in favour of the Google search thingumybob.

Guest Alanpban

I am sure there is another topic on here which is specifically about this particular police box and which has pictures of its interior as well.

However I can't seem to find it and Stuart has just abolished link fairies in favour of the Google search thingumybob.

I once saw the doors open as I passed by, it was full of brushes and street cones ect, sadly no doctor or daleks....Al

(As if by magic, or because I was looking at that topic a few minutes ago!)

Thanks madannie, exactly the topic I was thinking of, thanks for the link.

You are a link and Stuart is thinking of making you redundant.

If I were you I would join the National Union of Fairies,

That's fairy NUF.

Thanks madannie, exactly the topic I was thinking of, thanks for the link.

You are a link and Stuart is thinking of making you redundant.

If I were you I would join the National Union of Fairies,

That's fairy NUF.

Last thing I need is to be made redundant again :(.

There is still plenty of tidying up of old broken links to be done, anyway, so I should be safe for a little while yet :).

Looks like Howard Road / Commonside maybe.

It is indeed Howard Road at the junction with Heavygate Road.

As it is now: screenshot from Google Streetview.

Hi, when I was a wee laddy, there used to be a police box here, just across from the chemist shop on halifax rd wadsley bridge ...Al

I remember that one, I used to lived on Southey Green Road, Near cookson and then on Meynell Road. infact that lady sat on the wall, 3rd from left looks a bit like me mum. I would say the pic is from around 1981-1983. the box was gone by then. If you look at the curb far left, it looks like you can see the old floor/mount which was left there long after the box went.