Pond Street shops and cafes have all gone

Sheffield History

Quite sad really.

Wasn't there, once upon a time, a twenty-four hour petrol station located underneath, with access from Pond Street?

I seem to remember it, because, occasionally, I used it, as there were few such late services available at that time, and also, as one of the night-shift attendants was murdered there. Sometime in the late 1970's, as I recall.

58 minutes ago, lysander said:

There was a fish and chip shop which sold a really nice fish cake butty!

Oh no, not the dreaded f*** c***! Can we now expect multiple posts of what this actually is? I am joking of course.

Yes, remember that chip shop and those butties, superb. Did there also used to be an amusement arcade in that row of shops?

54 minutes ago, lysander said:

You are of course correct, I had completely forgotten about the fish and chip shop, and yes indeed, it did sell really nice fish-cake-butties, with genuine fish-cakes, not those disgusting rissoles (I'm watching you Peter Walker!;-)), that are often, falsely passed-off as fish-cakes in other, less-learned parts of the country.

And wasn't there a small supermarket and a hair-dressing shop too?

Wasn't there some sort of electrical / spares shop as well?

8 hours ago, lysander said:

Yep, popped  in there a few times myself. 

Wasn't there a charity or second hand shop there as well. 

7 hours ago, Unitedite Returns said:

You are of course correct, I had completely forgotten about the fish and chip shop, and yes indeed, it did sell really nice fish-cake-butties, with genuine fish-cakes, not those disgusting rissoles (I'm watching you Peter Walker!;-)), that are often, falsely passed-off as fish-cakes in other, less-learned parts of the country.

I can vaguely remember a electrical shop. 

On 12/28/2017 at 10:37, Unitedite Returns said:

Got to agree, they are disgusting

Up the escalators from the bus station and over the bridge, then heading along "The Levels"? up Pond Street....

Presto Supermarket?

Showboat Amusements?

Castle Bakery?

The Friary Chippy? (of fishcake butty legend!)

Butchers?

Scoop (a shop where you had to use little scoops to dig you for out of bulk drums and weigh it into plastic bags)?

The Minerva Restaurant?

Fads Decorating and DIY?

Maybe a few of these changed hands, along the timeline and can't recall the hairdresser's, electrical shop and charity shop?

any additions, corrections, opinions very welcome!...

(I deliberately missed the cinema, as it was on the level above, up the next set of escalators and it wasn't a shop)

IMG_3048.PNG

IMG_3049.PNG

IMG_3050.PNG