Colorised photo of Sheffield

Sheffield History

24 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

F1EFABBF-8ED9-4F98-9067-DC1CE3E0153D.jpeg

i always like seeing colorised photos of old Sheffield 

this one is no exception

Nice view of Glossop Road, not to much traffic.

I should have recognised the view, as I used to go up Glossop Road every day on the way to school!

There's a pleasing selection of (late '50s?) cars: from left, a Standard?, an Austin A70, a Beetle, a Ford Zephyr, and what's that one on the far right? It looks less common and a bit stylish. Renault Frégate?

The chap across the road is obviously experiencing problems erecting his new shed, as he's banging his head against its wall.

I might be missing something in my searches, but it seems to have been referred to only as Glossop Road Baptist Church.

I was surprised to read that it was converted into the Drama Studio as long ago as 1970. I find it pleasing that the building is listed (not always a guarantee of survival, I know) and has been put to good use since its original purpose ended. 

• Like 1

Digression time again :rolleyes:

An extract from a 25 inch map published in 1905:

glossop road 1905.jpg

Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

On which the church is marked as chapel.

Of interest (to me) are the Cabmens Shelter in the middle of the junction and the tram lines extending along Glossop Road as far as the junction with WIlkinson Street/Clarkson Street/ Northumberland Road. For some reason these tracks never went any further. The intention was for a line along Glossop Road to Broomhill but it was never completed. A junction from Fulwood Road into Glossop Road was also put in (and is shown on another 1905 map ). When the tracks were removed is not known to me. 

1 hour ago, madannie77 said:

Digression time again :rolleyes:

An extract from a 25 inch map published in 1905:

glossop road 1905.jpg

Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

On which the church is marked as chapel.

Of interest (to me) are the Cabmens Shelter in the middle of the junction and the tram lines extending along Glossop Road as far as the junction with WIlkinson Street/Clarkson Street/ Northumberland Road. For some reason these tracks never went any further. The intention was for a line along Glossop Road to Broomhill but it was never completed. A junction from Fulwood Road into Glossop Road was also put in (and is shown on another 1905 map ). When the tracks were removed is not known to me. 

.... this link to an image on PS, shows a Cabmen's shelter at the bottom of Peel Street, yet no mention of it on the 1905 map? Very odd indeed that the two ends of the tramlines were never joined up? I wonder if they received some objections from the residents in the posh houses along and just off that stretch of Glossop Road? 

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18634&action=zoom&pos=16&id=21202&continueUrl=

Sadly, couldn't find an image of the Cabmen's shelter at the bottom of Clarkson Street, but I wonder where these lads were going, all perched on the back of the flat bed truck? Boy Scouts by the look of them, a couple wearing what looks like the old style scout hats? Imagine what a field day the Health and Safety police would have with that today???!!! lol

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14429&pos=5&action=zoom&id=17248

The tracks along Glossop Road were removed in the winter of 1908 and replaced with wooden setts, in the interest of quietness, at a cost of about £86.  There had been a campaign against the Corporations' "tramway madness" since 1901, rejecting the incursion of clanking, bell ringing "railways" into the splendid suburbs, occupied by professional men, likely to have their repose disturbed.

4 minutes ago, Edmund said:

The tracks along Glossop Road were removed in the winter of 1908 and replaced with wooden setts, in the interest of quietness, at a cost of about £86.  There had been a campaign against the Corporations' "tramway madness" since 1901, rejecting the incursion of clanking, bell ringing "railways" into the splendid suburbs, occupied by professional men, likely to have their repose disturbed.

Seems my hypothesis of earlier wasn't too wide of the mark then? Also Illustrates that 'NIMBY-ism' is not just a modern trait! 

11 hours ago, RLongden said:

.... this link to an image on PS, shows a Cabmen's shelter at the bottom of Peel Street, yet no mention of it on the 1905 map? Very odd indeed that the two ends of the tramlines were never joined up? I wonder if they received some objections from the residents in the posh houses along and just off that stretch of Glossop Road? 

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18634&action=zoom&pos=16&id=21202&continueUrl=

Sadly, couldn't find an image of the Cabmen's shelter at the bottom of Clarkson Street, but I wonder where these lads were going, all perched on the back of the flat bed truck? Boy Scouts by the look of them, a couple wearing what looks like the old style scout hats? Imagine what a field day the Health and Safety police would have with that today???!!! lol

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14429&pos=5&action=zoom&id=17248

The 1894 version of the map appears to show a shelter at the bottom of Peel Street. Is its omission from the 1905 map just an error, or had it gone by then? I would suspect the former.

10 hours ago, Edmund said:

Thanks for that information. Interesting to see that sort of attitude occurring so many years ago when it is thought of as a much more recent phenomenon.

14 hours ago, madannie77 said:

The 1894 version of the map appears to show a shelter at the bottom of Peel Street. Is its omission from the 1905 map just an error, or had it gone by then? I would suspect the former.

Thanks for that information. Interesting to see that sort of attitude occurring so many years ago when it is thought of as a much more recent phenomenon.

Looking back, nothing is new it seems!

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:01, madannie77 said:

I might be missing something in my searches, but it seems to have been referred to only as Glossop Road Baptist Church.

I was surprised to read that it was converted into the Drama Studio as long ago as 1970. I find it pleasing that the building is listed (not always a guarantee of survival, I know) and has been put to good use since its original purpose ended. 

Yes you're right madannie77, I've seen many a good play there doing a little temporary work as a theatre guide/usherette  some years ago.

I think the public would be surprised if they saw inside, it has a lovely stage and I cannot remember how many it seats but it is quite surprising as you wouldn't expect this of it from looking at it from the outside.

The entrance to the small theatre is up the side street, give it a try, it's very similar to going to the Montgomery theatre Surrey Street.