Coo Hill, Woodhouse

Unitedite Returns

A pencil and watercolour depiction of Coo Hill, Woodhouse, in the late nineteenth century, (maybe 1896), and possibly, but not certainly, by the local historian, William Jas. LeTall, (see initials bottom right-hand-corner).

Coo Hill is today, better known as Market Place, and Woodhouse War Memorial now stands roughly where the buildings depicted to the left-hand-side of the picture stood then.

Some of the buildings depicted in this image, particularly those seen in the centre of the picture, can still be identified to this day. The single story building, at the top of Revill Lane is perhaps, the easiest to recognise.

Found pasted to the inside of an original copy of 'Doings in Handsworth Woodhouse, 1876 to 1899', by William Jas. LeTall.

Coo Hill by W.J. LeTall.JPG

• Like 1

What a great find. I just tried a virtual drive round Wudus and it's a good job I am not really driving there now days. I did a lot of three point turns, the place seems to have changed almost as much as Sheffield centre. I could see in the distance the Cross Daggers where I called in every Sunday dinner at one time, shame it's not a pub any more.

A great painting and it never occurred to me that Coo Hill was in fact the whole piece of land that fell away from Market Place (shaded in the current street view) and not just the short steep lane (circled) that connects Market Street with Revill Lane.

It appears the whole of that gradient was backfilled to level the site with the shops in the pedestrian precinct, when all that development was built. You can see the retaining wall behind the 'Coo Hill' street sign is of modern construction and joins with the wall / ramp at the bottom of the hill.

The single storey building at the top of Coo Hill has changed hands numerous times, even in my recollection. Butchers, Haberdashers, Shoe Repairs, Children's Clothes, Dog Grooming parlour, to name but a few.

The house central in the painting was at one time the 'Lotus House' Chinese Restaurant, rather than the building to the right, but it seems the owners have remodelled it, bricking up the front door in the process.

The Cross Daggers is on the far right of the modern street view of the Market Square and I suppose you could still get a Sunday Dinner there.... if you were OK with a Chicken Tikka Masala with Pilau Rice and a Garlic Naan?! lol

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 21.42.43.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 20.29.16.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 20.20.32.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks   RLongden I see the stocks are still there by the cross at least.

From my time going in the Daggers no meals were served, there wasn't even a bar, the landlord walked round with a jug of ale straight out of the barrel and kept everyone topped up nicely, it went on the slate estimated generously  and we paid when we went out at closing time, what a pub, what a shame we have nothing like that now.

13 hours ago, boginspro said:

From my time going in the Daggers no meals were served, there wasn't even a bar, the landlord walked round with a jug of ale straight out of the barrel and kept everyone topped up nicely, it went on the slate estimated generously  and we paid when we went out at closing time, what a pub, what a shame we have nothing like that now.

I remember t'daggers from that time, not as a customer, but mostly because I had been despatched to drag my grandfather back home for his tea.

I may have posted these before - apologies if I have - but taken on 07/02/1977, they seemed relevant to this thread.

SLS023-Corner Market Street and Revill Lane, Woodhouse-07-02-1977.jpg

SLS024-Cross Daggers Restaurant, Church Lane, Woodhouse-07-02-1977.jpg

• Like 2

On 27/12/2017 at 22:55, boginspro said:

As the sign above the door proudly states... "Fine DRAWN FROM THE WOOD Ales"

"In all its history the beer at the Cross Daggers was always 'drawn from the wood', i.e. there were no pumps to put a froth on the beer, only a tap from the barrel"... quote from 'Woodhouse' Compiled by Leonard Widdowson and Matthew Young and one of two books in the 'Woodhouse' series.

Both books are full of fabulous photographs of old Woodhouse and lots of interesting facts.

Some great photos of Coo Hill, along with hundreds of others, taken in and around the village through time. Both highly recommended!

IMG_3037.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG