2 memories nobodys heard of

craig12

ive asked this question many times only to blank faces who cant remember anything  

in darnall around 1974-1978 I cant remember the exact year 2 lads opened a pie and pea shop nr what was the old fishing tackle shop ,one I remember as tommo and I cant remember the other guys name I think it was open for about a year if I remember right, at the same time  opposite sheaf valley baths there was a guy called gus who had a pizza stall in the wall just down from the railway station heading towards park sq roundabout , they were like circles cut into the brickwork to form like a small shop unit , bang opposite where the busses now pull out of pond st bus station and have to turn left , anyone remember any of them ?

I remember those shops in the railway arches, if that's what you're talking about. I can't recall the types of shops, but I can say that none of them was of any interest to a boy in the early 1960s, so no sweet shops, newsagents or toy shops!

Oddly, I do have a half-memory of one of them being a fishing shop. I wonder if another was a garage, as in repairing cars.

Are these arches still used as shops?

Just now, Athy said:

I remember those shops in the railway arches, if that's what you're talking about. I can't recall the types of shops, but I can say that none of them was of any interest to a boy in the early 1960s, so no sweet shops, newsagents or toy shops!

Oddly, I do have a half-memory of one of them being a fishing shop. I wonder if another was a garage, as in repairing cars.

Are these arches still used as shops?

Funnily enough, I too remember these shops that were built into the railway arches opposite Pond Hill.

One was certainly an 'eatery', and I do seem to remember the sound of the trains rumbling by at the rear of the shop, whilst awaiting the completion of my order, although I only ever used it very occasionally.

I seem to think that this 'take-away' was located closer to that end of these shops that was nearest to the railway station, and I also seem to recollect that for ventilation that it had a silvered metallic chimney, with a pointed conical 'hat'.

What era would that be? I left Sheffield in 1962, though I continued to visit the city regularly to stay with my friend and his family until about 1969, and I don't remember a café - which does not, of course,mean that there wasn't one.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

What era would that be? I left Sheffield in 1962, though I continued to visit the city regularly to stay with my friend and his family until about 1969, and I don't remember a café - which does not, of course,mean that there wasn't one.

Just found this image of Picture Sheffield, which shows the location, but taken some time after the period in question, which I think, must have been mid-1970's, or thereabouts, but possibly, a little later.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w01242&pos=309&action=zoom&id=46481

45 minutes ago, craig12 said:

ive asked this question many times only to blank faces who cant remember anything  

in darnall around 1974-1978 I cant remember the exact year 2 lads opened a pie and pea shop nr what was the old fishing tackle shop ,one I remember as tommo and I cant remember the other guys name I think it was open for about a year if I remember right, at the same time  opposite sheaf valley baths there was a guy called gus who had a pizza stall in the wall just down from the railway station heading towards park sq roundabout , they were like circles cut into the brickwork to form like a small shop unit , bang opposite where the busses now pull out of pond st bus station and have to turn left , anyone remember any of them ?

Was the Pie 'n' Peas shop on the run of shops to the right of Lakin's in the photo of Staniforth Road? Can't say I remember it, but I may have seen in as I passed on the 52 bus into town?

Also the arches on Sheaf Street. I certainly remember the Pizza takeaway and I seem to think that they occupied the 3 arches on the left (with the floodlights over) and the three arches on the right was a indie record store or something like that? This was late 70's, early 80's?

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 09.32.48.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 09.24.19.jpg

Lo! and behold, a garage - or at least a "Breakdown recovery service", though there's little clue as to what they used toeffect the recoveries, or wher ethey would put the car once recovered.

RLongden, now you have jogged my memory. In, I think, the early 2000's I stayed a couple of days in Sheffield as Mrs. Athy was attending a work course in the city, and I remember visiting that record shop. I think I sold him a few blues singles, as I was the importer for a U.S. label at the time. Thanks for the memory.

It's funny how one's memory plays tricks. I remember them as being a great long row of arches, yet, as the photos show, there are only six of them.

I suppose Arch & Safety prevents their use as commercial premises now.