Can anyone work out what this says please.

boginspro

Can anyone identify what this says please. It is from the 1851 census regarding Joseph and Mary Ann Broadhead and appears to be a yard off Pea Croft. I have printed it at three different zoom levels.

pea_croft.png.jpg

57 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Can anyone identify what this says please. It is from the 1851 census regarding Joseph and Mary Ann Broadhead and appears to be a yard off Pea Croft. I have printed it at three different zoom levels.

pea_croft.png.jpg

“Clapham”?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Clapham

Thanks makapaka   that's a bit better than I thought, the middle bit does look like that, possibly an e on the end and something I can't work out in front, but so far I have found nothing in directories etc. that seem to be anything like that.

Could it possibly say "Mr Clapham's Yd."?

Reading the story of the area at this link, the Clapham's were a prominent family on Pea Croft around this time and it seems they had several shops along the road, at various addresses. Rather than officially adopted yard names, I wonder if the Broadheads lived in accommodation that was within a yard, owned or inhabited by the Clapham's?

http://www.nons.co.uk/Residences/Residences_Claphams_Needhams.htm

Just an idea, but there may be something in it? Plenty of street numbers to conjure with?! lol

Boginspro.

The census line below yours looks clearer and seems to be 12 Clapham's Yard with the Yard written as Yd See below.

1851extract.JPG.c0f0c87cfa4f2d0d40238c03594bf27d.JPG

• Like 1

So, probably Number 11 then, rather than "Mr."?

Interesting that the map of 1853 called the areas either side of Pea Croft as 'Yards', whereas by 1890, there were more detailed and numbered 'Courts'. I circled Court number 11 on the 1890 map, but realise that it's not the 11 in the census return...

... some more detective work required :)

IMG_3031.PNG

IMG_3030.JPG

• Like 1

Looking at Scotland Street on the above map, just after the junction with Lambert Street it turns into another road which only partially shown as Grin....

Anyone know what it was called?

Thank you  everyone, an amazing response, I am sure you are on the right lines and I will do some more research . 

I was a bit slow not noticing the clearer entry below in the census eldomsmith and knew nothing of the Clapham's.

The link and map look very interesting  RLongden   I shall be studying them later, thanks again.

I thought that a bit of photo-shopping might help you, although, I see that you've got the answer anyhow. Best of look with your research.

1851extract.JPG.c0f0c87cfa4f2d0d40238c03594bf27d.jpg

IMG_3030.JPG.0ca77b1f59cc52bbf4596a26e3e508f4.jpg

13 minutes ago, Unitedite Returns said:

I thought that a bit of photo-shopping might help you, although, I see that you've got the answer anyhow. Best of look with your research.

Thanks, I should have known I would get a good response on here.