Sign in to follow this  
rover1949

SHEFFIELD 'HELIPORT'

I lived in Shirecliffe in the early 70s and occasionally took the dog for a walk in Parkwood Springs.  One evening I came across a helicopter parked on a concrete pad in a clearing, there was non-one around and the doors were locked (I tried them).  A van then pulled up, a security guard got out and told me to push off.

I vaguely remember that this was to become Sheffield's heliport because of the high position and proximity to the City centre but there were no buildings or any other facilities. I see on Google Earth that the helipad itself is still there in the middle of playing fields.

Did anyone else see any helicopters landing there or know what became of it before they opened Sheffield International Airport?

I use to live on Pye Bank and I'd see helicopters land there occasionally during the 80s and 90s.

Me and my pals would ride our bikes around the helipad and up towards the sky village. Once we saw two helicopters had landed there, we approached them to have a look inside out of curiosity. Two blokes jumped out of them and chased us away. Great times! 

I'll be back up there on the 7th on the playing fields as my U14's football team are playing away there. The home team manage we're playing against is one of my pals who was with me when encountered the two helicopters back in the day. Should bring back a few memories. 

• Thanks 1

Talking of helicopters, does anyone have any recollection of the military helicopter that made a forced landing in the fields on the Handsworth side of the Shirtcliffe Valley, roughly opposite the Hardcastle - Sevenside Estate, sometime in the late 1950's / early 1960's?

I seem to recall my elder brother and his mates salvaging some of the bits that fell off.

There have been recent reports (2009) of an army helicopter landing there.

Who has priority I wonder, - footballers or helicopter?

5 hours ago, rover1949 said:

There have been recent reports (2009) of an army helicopter landing there.

Who has priority I wonder, - footballers or helicopter?

I moved from Pye Bank in 1999 so I wouldn't know about the army helicopter. It could be because of the Sheffield Sea Cadets on Rutland Road. 

Mainly footballers lol

The landing site at Rutland Road was managed by the Council, a guy in the next office to me had to go and unlock the gates when a helicopter was due as it was most likely to be a ambulance that would meet it to transfer a patient to the Northern General hospital.

They also laid out a pad in Weston Park just behind the gates next to the museum for patients for the childrens hospital. I know at least i heli landed there as a trial, but i think that was the only one, it was a really tight space to get into and right by a busy road and i think they has to stop traffic.

• Thanks 1

analysisThe Rutland Road heliport was opened to coincide with a meeting of the British Association in the 1960's.Apart from its occasional use as landing site for medical emergencies it played a vital role in the development of North Sea oil and gas. Rock core samples for analysis and assessment were flown in there for the University...which was deeply involved.